Ground Dug(relic) M1 Garand

FortJohn

Picked this up last year with a dug M1 bayonet and German helmet.There was a canteen also,but I didn't get it. There is a tag on it that says dug in 1999 in Belgium. Has the early grooved rear hand guard clip and uncut op rod. Has a tree root growing up through the receiver. I also have a Civil War pistol minus the grips that looks like it was found in a creek. Thanks Greg.

post-154139-0-95480000-1521595759.jpg

Garandomatic

Wow... I wonder if it wasn't quickly stripped and had the trigger group, follower, and etc yanked and tossed to render it useless to the enemy...?

The follower is still in it. You can see it a little in this picture. I think the trigger group was pulled and thrown. The bolt is back and locked. He could of ran out of ammo and disabled the gun. I have a early lend lease gun and when I saw the early features I knew I wanted to bring it home. Greg

post-154139-0-59526300-1521598205.jpg

I wonder where in Belgium this was found. My wife's uncle was a Captain in the 106th Inf Div and he was a POW. Prior to surrendering....they striped their weapons and tossed the various parts rendering the weapon INOP. Very cool. My Dad who was in the 86th ID said that while he was crossing the Danube river in Ingolstadt...paddling like hell w/bullets flying ....got to the side ...and pulled his M1 Garand off his shoulder and found a bullet lodged in the gas port which was by his head. Crazy....and a blessing....he threw the M1 in the Danube river by Ingolstadt. I'd love to find that.

If I got it up to temperature in wax it would leave a light coat. But it would more than likely loosen up the dirt and it would come out. I would like to hear thoughts on preserving it. Greg.

I wonder where in Belgium this was found. My wife's uncle was a Captain in the 106th Inf Div and he was a POW. Prior to surrendering....they striped their weapons and tossed the various parts rendering the weapon INOP. Very cool. My Dad who was in the 86th ID said that while he was crossing the Danube river in Ingolstadt...paddling like hell w/bullets flying ....got to the side ...and pulled his M1 Garand off his shoulder and found a bullet lodged in the gas port which was by his head. Crazy....and a blessing....he threw the M1 in the Danube river by Ingolstadt. I'd love to find that.

This would be a quest worth a TV show. Of course, I'm extremely partial toward the legend of the M1 Garand.