USS Juneau Found

irish

Just read an article where on St Patricks Day the wreck of the Juneau and the resting place of the 5 Sullivan brothers has been found. These discoveries are coming fast and furious now. Paul Allens group again.

They're doing great work. Finding these Historic shipwrecks helps to bring their Tragic and Heroic story to life again remind us the cost of war.

Mark

This is awesome..3 VERY important finds by them..it just gets better and better!!!

The Nat Geo website has a small bit of film, if I knew how I would have linked it. The Juneau sits at 13,000 feet below the surface off of the Solomon Islands. One can imagine what else sits at the bottom of Iron Bottom Sound.

Salvage Sailor

Two of our Associations Fleet Tugs are still out there. USS SEMINOLE (AT-65) was sunk by Japanese destroyers at Tulagi just off of Lunga Point and her sister ship and lead ship of the class USS NAVAJO (AT-64) was torpedoed by the I-39 150 miles east of Esprirtu Santo. Both of them were Pearl Harbor survivors which spent days fighting fires and rescuing men at battleship row. SEMINOLE has been located but NAVAJO is still in Davey Jones locker.

A family friend was happy they found her and to be able to see some pictures. Her uncle she never met went down with the Juneau.

silverplate

We can once again thank Paul Allen and the crew of the R/V Petrel for discovering the wreck of another historic ship. On March 17th, which happened to be St. Patrick's Day, they located the USS Juneau, the cruiser that went down with the five Sullivan brothers on board.