Nuclear Weaponsman

36-tex

Seeking some assistance! I am working on an article for the Trading Post about USN Nuclear Weaponsman rate.

If anyone has any style of this specialty rate they would like to share and maybe allow it to be used in the article, please PM me.

Also, any information on this rate would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

MastersMate

I remember reading an article somewhere, concerning the specialty mark on the rating badge. The basic line was that petty officers wearing this rating were advised to wear the rating badge of the same rate, but a different rating when on liberty in foreign ports. It was felt that the bomb and electrons specialty mark would put those sailors in an open line for kidnapping or any other such shenanigans that might happen to them in the cold war environment. Stateside wear of the rating badge was not effected..

Did they work with the WTs? (Weapons Techs)

s-l1600.jpg

Funny enough..I was in first W DIV, the "special" weapons division on CVN-73..but the rate dissolved around then and the only WT aboard left..and others may have converted to GM or TM..(then went to G-2 Div)

The GM (T) merged into the Weapons Tech when that rating was formed..

Interesting illustration. The NW rates I have seen have 2 stars in the atomic symbol.

MastersMate

OOPS, I missed drawing in the second star on the upper, forward orbit.. Sorry 'bout that..

post-162267-0-79116400-1521639857.jpg

Cool tidbit about some WT stuff..the time I was in W Division was when WT was being de-rated..but G-3 Division (Bomb Assembly) and G2 absorbed some, then the last rated WT I knew left the ship..W Div maintained 2 magazines Forward and Aft SASS..alarmed, with Marines locked and loaded came a running! Naturally, working in these mags, it was easy to trip the alarm..and in more than one occasion have I climbed out from the 4th deck SASS magazine and opened the scuttle on the hatch... (which looked like this for reference:_

54dcc3adc772547bec381d1e40ed5d85.jpg

...to pop my head out to crawl out and see a squad of Marines covering me with the muzzles of their loaded and ready M16A2s!!!

First time I was like KFC, really?? But it happened often enough to where you'd just look at them and shake your head..then they'd stand down, secure and you could climb out..

G-3 absorbed the magazine, though I'm not sure if they sprayed over W-Div on the bullseye right away or not..(bullseye is a sign on ship's bulkheads, some in luminous paint, that tell you where you are,[what frames of the ship, and which side] and what type of space it is, in a slight code LOL) I clearly remember it saying W Div for a while..so that FWD one became a regular weapons mag, and SEAL Team 8 used it when deployed with us as their lair...I actually got to see it with them inhabiting it, answering a trouble call when I was an HT..it was definitely THEIRS..racks and racks of every kind of weapon, and lots of ZODIAC rubber boat stuff..and a motor repair bench..but I minded my business when I was there!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello MastersMate. Nice illustration of the Nuclear Weaponsman mark. Do I understand correctly that you created the drawing? Can you tell us (me) how it's done? Thanks.

MastersMate

It takes a little time, but I use the PAINT program that came stock with the computer. Then I check the USN uniform regs to get an idea as to what the look like. Then it it use the mouse and other features and draw it out. I save them as a jpeg file on the machine. Will gladly post the USN specialty marks you would like..

MastersMate

I need to remember to delete my old files. The Shipfitter, Metalsmith should have the pointed ends of the maul up.. Sorry..

post-162267-0-56552200-1522519424_thumb.jpg

LOL, been in the Navy, literally all my life, ( borne in a Naval Hospital, have a Welcome Aboard letter signed by ADM Burke when he was CNO). Studied and collected Navy stuff for over 50 years. Never noticed.

MastersMate

An interesting comment, and it gave me a good excuse from heading out into the mornung drizzle to do some yard work..

Member Kris Ford had posted in another thread a photo of a vintage HULL TECH pin. He was curious about the odd design. Well got to looking into the Damage Controlman specialty mark, and what do you know, there was a change in design from the original 1948 design published in the April or May 1948 ALL HANDS and the 1952 USN Uniform Regs..

post-162267-0-98091300-1522611124.jpg

MastersMate

Located a couple of rating badge photos. Note the bar the eagle sets on is the pre 1935sh orientation on the 1948 crow and the post 1935sh orientation on the 1952 crow..

post-162267-0-44656000-1522612560_thumb.jpg

Perhaps these are no longer necessary, but I thought I'd add them anyway, I believe that I have a few more of these.

post-9529-0-03401500-1522816182_thumb.jpg

post-9529-0-24179900-1522816222.jpg

Awesome pieces my friend!!

Thank you! Did you need photos of them for your piece (I xan take better images than these quick snaps.

An interesting comment, and it gave me a good excuse from heading out into the mornung drizzle to do some yard work..

Member Kris Ford had posted in another thread a photo of a vintage HULL TECH pin. He was curious about the odd design. Well got to looking into the Damage Controlman specialty mark, and what do you know, there was a change in design from the original 1948 design published in the April or May 1948 ALL HANDS and the 1952 USN Uniform Regs..

Aye, that was me..and this DOES clear that pin up some!! Though HT came to be in 1972..

I need to remember to delete my old files. The Shipfitter, Metalsmith should have the pointed ends of the maul up.. Sorry..

Yup!

But on our HT rate, points down look aesthetically better. Shippfitter and Metalsmith Pumber, carpenters mate..all melded into HT...and our rate shows it. (EXCEPT Plumber..not sure why LOL..I thought their rate was tuff looking with the crossed pipe wrenches! It was the unofficial OFFICIAL sign on our Pipe Shop)