The mailman is my new besty.

bheskett

A buddy works in security down in Florida and a guy came in with these hanging in the back of his car. They get to talking and the driver says he is on the way to make a deal to sell these and my buddy tells him about my collection. Well the deal fell through so he shows up a few days later and says here give these to your friend. Both belonged to a Col. P*o*w*e*r*s, first name J*o*h*n. what can you tell me about him. He was in the pacific with the 6th Army and has three bronze service stars and one arrowhead on his ribbon. It looks like he stayed in the reserves and assigned to the 76th Division, and at some point became an Aide De Camp for a General with Connecticut. The note in the pocket from the donor says he is from Torrington /Litchfield, CT. Any help on how to get this guy pinned down. I checked the CT National Guard folks and they have no one that matches up. Could he have been in the reserves and assigned to the National Guard? His collar brass has 4 stars, but I did not think the states had Generals of that high a rank, perhaps the HQ in Washington.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks

Bob

Dress Greens

post-3384-0-74748700-1521502037_thumb.jpg

post-3384-0-50531100-1521502053_thumb.jpg

Rats, not the guy. I have bit of info from CT and this one was never sent overseas during WWII. My guy has 6 overseas stripes.

Powers, Col. John J.

February 10, 2001

POWERS, Col. John J.

Col. John J. Powers of Palm Harbor, FL, formerly of West Hartford died Thursday (February 8, 2001) at Mease Countryside Hospital. He was born in Hartford and moved to Florida nine years ago from West Hartford. He attended Weaver High School where he was the first four-letterman, St. Thomas Seminary, Wilbraham Academy and Holy Cross College. He served from 1941-1945 Southwest Pacific Area during World War II in the U.S. Army. He earned three Battle Stars. He completed 28 years of service and retired as Lt. Col. Military Police Corps of Gov. Grasso's Military Staff. He was a Hartford police officer, vice president and sales manager at Mercer & Dunbar Armored Car Service. He was a member of the Elks and VFW. He is survived by his wife, Marcia Powers of Palm Harbor, FL; a niece and several nephews in Connecticut; two stepsons and two step-daughters. He was predeceased by his former wife, Louise Wilcox. Service will be at a later date. Abbey Affordable Cremation & Funeral Services, Inc., Largo, FL has care of arrangements. Donations can be made in his memory to Humane Society of West Hartford.

Ella T. Grasso (May 10, 1919 – February 5, 1981) was an American politician and member of the Democratic Party who served as the 83rd Governor of Connecticut from January 8, 1975 to December 31, 1980. She was the first woman elected to this office and the first woman to be elected governor of a U.S. state without having been the spouse or widow of a former governor.

GOVERNORS MILITARY STAFF. -Adjutant General and Chief of

Staff, Maj. Gen. John F. Freund, Avon; Asst. Adjutant General and

Deputy Chief of Staff, Gaetano A. Russo, Waterbury; Aide s-de-C amp,

Col. A. James Bruno, Brookfield; Col. Elizabeth C. Colli, Windsor

Locks; Col. Albert R. Maule, Rocky Hill; Col. Morton N. Katz, Avon;

Col. Thaddeus W. Maliszewski, Windsor; Col. William B. Moody,

Granby: Col. John J. Powers, West Hartford; Maj. George A. Ford,

Farmington. Naval Aide: Capt. Henry Clay Ide, Simsbury. Marine Aide:

Maj. Thomas J. Caldwell, Wethersfield. Ex-officio members: Maj. Wil-

liam A. Lehmann, West Hartford, Commandant, First Company, Gov-

ernor's Foot Guard; Maj. Everett H. Kandarian, West Hartford, Com-

mandant, First Company, Governor's Horse Guard; Maj. Joseph C.

Rakiec, Hamden, Commandant, Second Company, Governor's Horse

Guard; Maj. Edward Schoeck, Cheshire, Commandant, Second Com-

pany, Governor's Foot Guard.

Thanks fella, this is great info.

You're welcome. Glad I could help. That's about all the information I could find on him without access to any paid websites.