MK1 Trench Knife for Study

SKIPH

Just tripped over this MK1 Trench Knife on ebay. It's interesting! Ebay item #112876549012, w/ a Buy Now price of $499.95. The blade is stamped "Kiffe" , from Japan., the handle looks like some kind of metal, with M1918 stamped on it. I do not know the seller. This is a real, piece of work. If someone could post the ad, I believe we'd all learn something from this one. Surprised it was on ebay. Check it out! SKIP

https://www.ebay.com/itm/M-1918-WWI-Trench-Knife-Kiffe-Japan-Stainless-Steel-Blade/112876549012?hash=item1a47f77394:g:5WkAAOSwZrhacQCY

Description

This is a great U.S. Army Trench Knife M-1918 with a "Kiffe Japan" stainless steel blade. It measures about 11 1/2" overall. Appears to be in excellent conditon. M-1918 Trench knife from WWI era (blade might be newer). I think these were used in WWI and WWII and maybe later (not sure when Japan blade was installed, but I have seen others very similar). Blade in excellent condition. Just purchased at estate with our other Bolo knife listed - see scan for details. Buyer pays $5.95 S/H to U.S. Invoice will be sent at close of auction. Please see our other items on Ebay. Thanks and Good Luck !!!

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

a3.jpg

a4.jpg

a6.jpg

a7.jpg

militariaone

Greetings Skip,

Same knife was on the Bay a few weeks back, for the same price. I believe the handle is aluminum or some other white metal alloy.

Cheers,

Lance

Oops, too slow with my post:-)

post-31352-0-86043700-1521402049_thumb.jpg

It's a little sarcastic easterneagle87, and the knife and price is the joke. But I try to show the newer collectors knives to be careful to avoid. Would hate to see someone waste a lot of good money for a blatant reproduction. $500 for a bonafide fake is way out there. What surprises me the most is that ebay has not removed it yet, based on their previous policies about knuckle knives. Ant way note it as another example of a faked MK1 Trench Knife. Keep studying gang! SKIP

militariaone

Skip,

it would appear for (at least) the last month, if a seller lists a knuckle knife (original or repro) on eBay on a Friday (or over the weekend) it likely won't get pulled off until well into the coming week that's if it gets pulled at all. Some of these knives get pulled quite quickly (i.e. on Monday) while others have run their full listing's course having not been sold then, are re-listed (e.g. like this thread's discussed reproduction) a week or so later. All of this, apparently without the usual warning to the seller to cease listing it. Lately, the infamous "eBay police" have been a rather hit or miss bunch, especially so during the weekends.

V/r Lance

Lance- Check this MK1 out. Seller says it's a legit Au Lion going for a Buy Now price of $1490. Ebay item # 123022716848. The blade and scabbard appear they could be legit, but the handle, sure looks fake to me. Check it out! Seller in France. If someone could post we could all learn from this one. SKIP

militariaone

Greetings Skip,

A lot of weird MK. I variants have been coming out of France (& Europe) over the past few years (some are one-offs & some are more numerous production's runs). I agree with your concerns on the one you referenced above. The short "U" in the U.S. where it's notably shorter than the "S" (see red line below) is something I have not viewed before, especially on an open 9 variant. That said, it could be a legit Au Lion's example I've not seen before (surely they exist) or it just as easily, it could be a parted together affair as you've noted. If that questionable handle is a reproduction, it would be the best example of a reproduced Au Lion's variant I have thus viewed. There is something else wrong with the fonts, but we'll save that for another day:-)

Cheers,

Lance

post-31352-0-75794500-1521411475.jpg

Hello

this dagger lion is on sale in France for over 2 years

and can not find takers

I advise against all because I have a big doubt

even if I have not seen a copy of the handle with the groove

but all is possible

fabnatcyr- We all have doubts about this one. Appreciate your input about it being available for over two years. Thanks! SKIP