LIFE Magazine photos now on Google

Bob Hudson

Salvage Sailor
If you type in ship names, naval battles, etc. quite a bit comes up. I found this sailor using the keyword naval[/b

Oh, there are US Navy photos and some truly excellent ones, I meant just not as many in the archives as there are Ground force photos.

This life archive is really becomming an obsession, i just cant stop !

May I suggest a most unusual but awesome link ? Have a look!

http://images.google.ch/images?um=1&hl...y+source%3Alife

Color pictures of the French troops in Italy in 44 - The pictures are just amazing!

Interesting collection. There are a number of female soldiers in this set. Any idea who they were? Medical? Admin?

Thanks for the tip! There are really some nice (colour) pictures to be seen on that page.

Here are 2 nice colour pictures for example:

Both were taken on the same date according to attached information:

December 20th, 1944 the Battle of the Bulge

11306456td8.jpg

ardennesof8.jpg

Enjoy!!

I also have spent the whole evening looking at incredible photos!

Simply amazing!!! Here is just one of them

4fzr05.jpg

Many thanks for the info thumbsup.gif

I go back to this website...

Yannick

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

It looks like they removed all Robert Capa's pictures on the Google/Life archive.

Salerno/Normandy/Cherbourg/Varsity Capa pictures are no more available.

Does anyone have more info about that ?

Hello,

It looks like they removed all Robert Capa's pictures on the Google/Life archive.

Salerno/Normandy/Cherbourg/Varsity Capa pictures are no more available.

Does anyone have more info about that ?

Interesting - they have photos of him, buy by him. Since he worked for Life when he took the photos, they would own the copyrights, but it may be that he or his estate somehow acquired rights to them over the years and thus they had to pull them from Google.

I have made an in-deep search about Capa's pictures and yes, they are all gone.

There were a lot of Capa photos of Sicily, Normandy (Beaches, Paras, 2nd armoured camo, Cherbourg, German POW's),

pictures of the Rangers and 36th Div at Salerno, pictures of Varsity) all in big format! Everything is gone.

Fortunately I was able to get the German POW pics and the Varsity pics on a French forum here are the links:

German POWs

http://militaria-reconstit.forumsactifs.co...-capa-t2605.htm

Varsity

http://militaria-reconstit.forumsactifs.co...rsity-t2687.htm

• 3 weeks later...
Salvage Sailor

Thunderbird Medic at Anzio - note tape 'red cross' on front of helmet

American soldier E. Armitage, a company aid medic, enjoying rare sunshine during a lull in the battle for Anzio.

Date taken: April 1944

Photographer: George Silk

Size: 1030 x 1280 pixels (14.3 x 17.8 inches)

Thunderbirds of M Company (regiment unknown)

American soldiers of M Company resting on the banks of a canal at a "rest camp" behind the front lines where the men go for a 48 hour break from the fighting.

Date taken: April 1944

Size: 1032 x 1280 pixels (14.3 x 17.8 inches)

You're not even safe in the field hospital at Anzio

Private Robert Scullion holding Purple Heart he was awarded after being wounded by shellfire while in the hospital (note schrapnel holes in tent wall)

Date taken: May 1944

Size: 847 x 1280 pixels (11.8 x 17.8 inches)

45th_medic.jpg

45th.jpg

45th_b.jpg

Salvage Sailor

This photo really took me by surprise

Marine Col. Francis I. Fenton kneeling over the flag-draped corpse of his 19-yr-old son, PFC Michael Fenton, who was killed in action; Michael was a scout-sniper in the 1st Marine Div. in which his father is regimental commander.

Date taken: June 14, 1945

Size: 1280 x 978 pixels (17.8 x 13.6 inches)

PFC_Fenton_KIA.jpg

Yes....LIFE magazine has many, many good photos and I have seen them listed via google.

I pulled up a load of great photos the other week, and couldn't get over the images.

Very good stuff! Cheers.

Duffy

• 5 weeks later...
I know this thread is a bit old, but I just had to give thanks for this great resource.

Yes I keep going back to that and discovering new things. I will say that for those who have not visited this archive, this will a photographic view of war, warriors and history unlike anything you have ever seen in any book. This is due in part to the fact that almost every such photograph we have seen our lives has been a halftone printed photo which is a very low resolution way to reproduce a photographic negative, which is extremely high resolution. When you scan a negative (or even an original photographic print) and display it on a computer screen it's possible to see detail that just does not exisit in a photo printed in a book, magazine or newspaper.

As an example I scanned a photo from a book and enlarged it 300% and then did a screen capture of one of the LIFE/Google archive photos and enlarged that 300%:

halftone.jpg

photodots.jpg

Until these LIFE photos were added to the Google archives, almost every old photo we saw online had been scanned from an old book or other printed publication. The LIFE photos are direct from negatives and, again, the visual perspective is unlike anything we have seen before: think of it as "HD photos" although the difference between scanned halftone images and scanned photo negatives may even more than they difference between old standard definition video and HD.

I took a shot at trying to clean it up a bit more with Photoshop. It pixilated a little bit, but that might be because I used the photo posted on the forum. But I agree... these are excellent quality compared to the one's copied from the original publications. It has to do with the dot pattern used in the printing process, as opposed to a digital copy taken from an original.

Life_enlargement_b.JPG

• 2 months later...
316th FS 324th FG

Question for the Life Magazine photo gurus - How do we find a specific cover shot? I am looking for the 5 July 43 cover that was for the issue listing America's Combat Dead.

Thanks

D

Question for the Life Magazine photo gurus - How do we find a specific cover shot? I am looking for the 5 July 43 cover that was for the issue listing America's Combat Dead.

Thanks

D

It appears that issue is not in the Google/Life archives. The only sources are the small images that show up in Ebay listings:

1943life.jpg

316th FS 324th FG
It appears that issue is not in the Google/Life archives. The only sources are the small images that show up in Ebay listings:

post-214-1238422809.jpg

Thanks. Hopefully they will get to it sooner or later. Those happen to be EMs from the 324th FG burying one of their own in North Africa.

D

• 2 months later...