LIFE Magazine photos now on Google

Bob Hudson

One of the best sources of photos of all aspects of military life in WWII was LIFE magazine.

Google has now scanned two million of the 10 million photos in the LIFE archives and placed them online. You can also type in a keyword in the Google search box and then follow it with the phrase source:life - so if you wanted to see images of Patton you'd type in Patton source:life - when the results come up click the Google IMAGES button.

Here's showing the results when I used the search term Iwo Jima source:life http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&...G=Search+Images

The life photos are outstanding and it is quite fun actually to just keep plugging in different keywords before the source:life phrase.

Thank you so much for posting this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know I"m going to spend a lot (and I do mean a LOT) of time with this, I've loved reading about WW2 ever since I was a kid. THANKS again.

Brian Blankenburg

• 4 months later...

Does anyone know of the photographer with the last name of Hoffman who was with Acme Newspictures during the Korean War? He took a number of photos of the 187th RCT second jump.

Any idea who this photographer was and where the photos could be?

Thanks,

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...
One of the best sources of photos of all aspects of military life in WWII was LIFE magazine.

Google has now scanned two million of the 10 million photos in the LIFE archives and placed them online. You can also type in a keyword in the Google search box and then follow it with the phrase source:life - so if you wanted to see images of Patton you'd type in Patton source:life - when the results come up click the Google IMAGES button.

Here's showing the results when I used the search term Iwo Jima source:life http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&...G=Search+Images

The life photos are outstanding and it is quite fun actually to just keep plugging in different keywords before the source:life phrase.

HELP!

I tried searching the Life Archives with some "source:life" searches I had as "favorites" and they all failed. Can someone please give me the correct procedure to use TODAY. I just hate to think of that wealth of info being unavailable.

Any help will be appreciated greatly!

Bagman

• 1 year later...
vostoktrading

I wanted to bring this thread back up again.

Thanks to Forum Support for bringing it to our attention.

I have spent hours on this (much to the dismay of my wife) trying all kinds of searches.

Jon.

I wanted to bring this thread back up again.

Thanks to Forum Support for bringing it to our attention.

I have spent hours on this (much to the dismay of my wife) trying all kinds of searches.

Jon.

I hadn't done in a while, but your post prompted me to give it a go and I found some great color photos from Parris Island, back when they used to get dressed up for amphibious training:

marboats3.jpg

HELP!

I tried searching the Life Archives with some "source:life" searches I had as "favorites" and they all failed. Can someone please give me the correct procedure to use TODAY. I just hate to think of that wealth of info being unavailable.

Any help will be appreciated greatly!

Bagman

I had trouble also. I found out you have to be in the image search tab in Google.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1SG_1st_Cav

The centerfold picture of the 19 April 1968 issue of Life Magazine featured one of our Firing Batteries, A Btry, 1st Bn, 30th FA, on an LZ about 3 Klicks east of Khe Sanh. These were taken by famed photographer Larry Burrows, who was later killed in Vietnam in 1971. There were actually three separate pictures that he took and I will show all three. The guidon you see flying in the images was made in-country, and was brought home by my friend then CPT John Fleming [later LTC Retired].

John died in 1997 of cancer caused by Agent Orange. I was fortunate to be allowed to give his eulogy in the Chapel at Arlington when we buried him with full military honors. We also honored him with a large frame containing that very same guidon in the picture. That frame was dedicated to him and is displayed in our 30th Field Artillery Regimental Room, in Snow Hall, at Ft Sill, OK. This is frame number 1 with three more to follow.

post-1691-0-85665400-1396395798.jpg

1SG_1st_Cav

Here is the last picture showing the guidon displayed in our Regimental Room. Just a footnote, John Fleming earned two Bronze Stars with "V" and a Bronze Star for Service during his tour in Vietnam. Danny

post-1691-0-79175000-1396396689.jpg

post-1691-0-75858700-1396396786.jpg

• 3 months later...

Is the photo archive still available? If I try the search method suggested it turns up blanks in the image tab...

regards,

STijn

Is the photo archive still available? If I try the search method suggested it turns up blanks in the image tab...

regards,

STijn

They've changed (not for the better) so it helps to experiment with keywords. You can go to http://images.google.com/hosted/life to enter search terms. If you type in Marine Corps you get basically nothing but if you put in just Marines it makes big difference.

• 3 months later...

fantastic pic thank for the sharing ;)

Cool - I looked that up: it's Jimmy Roosevelt's raider group training in San Diego.

I spend a lot of time searching military photos in Google images and with few exceptions there just has been nothing thus far to compare with these LIFE photos. Keep in mind that they have only scanned 20 percent of the library.

below another excerpt from a large photo:

Lt. Joseph Fournier of the US Marine Ranger Battalion wearing camouflage uniform.
Date taken: 1943

attachicon.gifraider1.jpg

• 1 month later...

As a general trick to performing a quick LIFE-archive specific image search on Google or Google Images, type:

source:life _____________

and whatever you're looking for in the blank, and it only searches/crawls LIFE google images. Just a fancy trick for fancy folk ^_^

i.e. source:life patton

Try it out. It's a big time killer.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

That CBI photo provides an excellent example of the difference between photos scanned from negatives and photos scanned from magazines and books which have the half-tone dots in them. This is also a photo from that CBI visit:

cbipat.jpg

• 2 months later...