517th PIR camo helmet original or not ?

BigAngel

PIR = Parachutist. Parachutist = D bail. So I’m told, no para helmets were made out of standard fixed bail pots. This seems to also be missing the A straps, commonly seen on A/B pots.

I don’t like it. Add me to the chorus!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

PIR = Parachutist. Parachutist = D bail. So I’m told, no para helmets were made out of standard fixed bail pots. This seems to also be missing the A straps, commonly seen on A/B pots.

I don’t like it. Add me to the chorus!

There were never enough M2 helmets to go around, so many fixed loop M1s were used. The 517 PIR modified their chinstraps like this.

PIR = Parachutist. Parachutist = D bail. So Im told, no para helmets were made out of standard fixed bail pots. This seems to also be missing the A straps, commonly seen on A/B pots.

I dont like it. Add me to the chorus!

I'm not a fan of the helmet either, but just to add, "A straps" are connected to paratrooper liners - not shells. This one isn't missing anything structurally to make it not a paratrooper helmet.

Beau-Brummel

Seen this somewhere before, very possibly here.

Paint colours look wrong, chin straps look to have been sanded, chemical rust? not a fan.

Did't kashetta show at least one of these?

Ok, thanks guys. Yes, I knew the A straps are in the liner not the shell. Still learning....thanks.

Hello, indeed the chin strap of the 517th STIP are specific to that unit. Thank you for sharing those photos that illustrates very well the chin strap. I also think that the helmet is a fake.

Sincerely,

BigAngel.

Patchcollector

Is that a similarly painted,netted helmet shown on the left in the top photo and also worn by the Medic in the bottom pic of post # 33?

BTW,Love the painted camo on their uniforms too!

phantomfixer

Post #5 clearly shows sand paper or other abrasive material marks..

Dig post #36...3 of the troopers with P08 or P38...??

Yes that sounds a lot like using sand paper. The photos shared above represent the company A of 1/517 August 14, 1944 during boarding for the invasion of tSouthern France. Some have P38 recovery during the fighting in Italy.

Sincerely,

BigAngel.

The helmet is fake, though it is attempting to look like the actual helmets worn by the 517th PRCT for the Dragoon jumps.

A couple of people who posted in this thread clearly have no idea what a 517th helmet is. Read a reference book or article on the topic before giving advice about something you yourself know nothing about.

JL

Hello Jean-Loup, it is true that he has nothing to do with the helmet of Marvin Moles. I had serious doubt about this headset and that's why I shared it here. We must continue to pay attention to false on the net (like this one). This post also allows to leave a trace of an analysis for the next few years (if this headset is on sale again).

Hope to meet you.

Sincerely,

BigAngel from Southern France.

The helmet is fake, though it is attempting to look like the actual helmets worn by the 517th PRCT for the Dragoon jumps.

A couple of people who posted in this thread clearly have no idea what a 517th helmet is. Read a reference book or article on the topic before giving advice about something you yourself know nothing about.

JL

Thanks for weighing in but fake is fake. What's new?

There is advice all over this forum that a para helmet, medic helmet, etc., with zero provenance "looks good" even with no proof. There are far more fakes than authentic "painted" helmets now IMO. Even some burned in the recent scandal still fall for the next one to show up as if nothing ever happened.

Not sure exactly who you are referring to but without good provenance I error on the side of "fake" and it's works well for me. Did here as well. The visible inconsistencies applicable to any M1 just added to it.

Dave

P.S. For future reference please tell us what a 517 helmet is.