So how about these two 30 round carbine magazines?

kfields

Pretty sure both are WW2, I am going to guess that the SEY ones are made by Seymour Products during WW2. I think the AI marked ones are made by General Motors, as in Island, same as the carbine maker.

i agree - m2 Korean and I can't find anything on a A.I. underlined?

also the carbine would have a different mag catch to support the extra weight of the rounds (15 to 30)

here is some Info I found years ago

30 round magazines. There were two basic types made under military contracts.

Hard Back: The first (early) type is commonly called a "hard-back". The body for this
type was made out of one piece of sheet steel. It can be identified by the reinforcing
grooves that run nearly the full length of the sides of the magazine, following the curve of
the magazine for the entire length.

Split Back: The second (later) type is commonly called a "split-back" or "two-piece." The
body for this type was made out of two pieces of sheet steel. It can be identified by two
reinforcing grooves that run at odd angles in the bottom half of the magazine. It is also
quickly identified by the two small slots or "splits" on the rear of the magazine, right where
it bends.
depending on condition. BTW, some of these were unmarked, but are still original. (To
the best of my knowledge, no copies were made of hard-backs, only split-backs.)

Inland Division of General Motors KI

KI
M2 (stacked marking)

A.I. Made by Autorye Co. (for GM Inland Division)

AI Made by Autorye Co. (for GM Inland Division)
M2 (stacked marking)

OKay Industries OKAY (in circle)

Seymour Products SEY (Warning: Some "SEY" fakes are on the market)

Underwood Circled IU

Made by FN, Post-WWII AYP (Warning: Some "AYP" fakes are on the market)

B. Jahn Manufacturing J J [underlined]

Unidentified K

Tony Scherer (Commercial, 1970s/80s) M2

Possibly Japanese Commercial NVS

Definitely Commercial. Maker Unknown IU

more info I found in my old notes

documents from Ordance that show the following:

Contract for 30 round magazines T4 with Inland: August 1944 (Probably the KI hard back)

First delivery of 30 round magazines (Test version): 8,500 in April 1945 (Different than standard versions)

The 30 round magazine was Standardized: Later in the month of April 1945 (Probably April 26, but not confirmed)

T18 Follower Standardized: April 26, 1945 (250 experimental versions were made by Autoyre and tested on the 15 round magazine in late 1944)

Contracts for standard 30 round magazines were released sometime shortly after April 1945.

Thanks everyone. I basically got these two for free last year. I loaded them up last fall and did a trial shoot. Both worked flawlessly.

They look good.

The biggest tell believe it or not is weight. GI mags have a certain heft and feel to them. The repros do not. The repros have a more "tinny" feel to them.

There are so many humped 30s it isn't even funny. But after a while, you can tell the real ones by the weight and feel of them alone.

• 2 years later...

This thread goes back a few years but I do appreciate the comments.

I figure I would show pics of my M1 Carbine, a late war December'44 Inland. Like most, it has been through the arsenal rework program in the 50's.

Shame on me but I haven't shot it since I tried out those two 30 round magazines 2 years ago. 

Kim

inland1.jpg

inland2.jpg

inland3.JPG

inland4.JPG

inland6.JPG

That is a fine looking piece, Im sure it looks even better with one of those 30s in it.   I myself arent an early type purist, I kind of like the idea of having the latest versions/changes of things so one day Id like to have one of those late specs M1 Carbines.

Yep...I feel pretty much the same about it too. Other than the sling I have on it which I picked up a few years back, I've left it just as I received it. It has an RIA EB stamp in the wood on the left side so it did run thru the arsenal in the 50's.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/10/2020 at 9:09 PM, kfields said:

I figure I would show pics of my M1 Carbine, a late war December'44 Inland. Like most, it has been through the arsenal rework program in the 50's.

@Kfields,

What jumps out, telling you it's been thru a rebuild?

I believe a 6,7 mil Inland could have come issued with a Type III bayonet band. IIRC Inland and WRA were using them by Dec of 44, possibly as early as Nov 44.

I see you still have a Type III (?) push safety also.

The only thing I can see from the few pictures is the Type II Oval cut Hi-wood stock and 2 rivet hand guard, which would have been too early for your carbine.

Maybe someone swapped the stock and hand guard  before you purchased?

Unless of course you know something that we can't see.

Either way you have a nice clean example of a later Inland with the hand stamped 1.

@mdk0911.

Yours sure looks ready for some action having all the bells and whistles.

Thank You both for sharing.....

Now get out there and shoot em !!

Cheers,

Charlie-Painter777

Hi Charlie-Painter777,

I assumed the carbine was reworked to some degree because that was the case with most. Now the degree of rework may have been minimal. Finish looks like it could be original. As you mentioned, it does have an earlier pushbutton safety, has one of those brazed trigger groups (IBM?) and the highwood stock marked RSG in the slingwell with the RIA EB arsenal mark planted in the wood.

I don't have any back story on thecarbine. I bought it about 20 years ago and never thought to ask the guy if he had any story on it.

You are right....I need to take it out and shoot it more often!  Kim

2 hours ago, kfields said:

RSG in the slingwell

Robert Irwin Co. Was 3 brothers in Grand Rapids, Mi. They made furniture and got a contract to build carbine stocks for SG and S'G' during WWII. Still in business today as The Irwin Seating Co..... Big Company.... World wide. https://www.irwinseating.com/the-irwin-difference/about

If the name Irwin Pederson rings a bell, Robert Irwin was 1/2 of that story I wont stray far in to. 

Just imagine a shotgun wedding set up by Ordnance between a furniture maker and a gun designer.....  aka IP carbines. I have most of Robert Irwins daily log book copied during the attempt at building the IP carbines and the struggles he faced.

Can you see a Boxed SG with the crossed cannons near it? Is there any extra letters or numbers in the bottom of your slingwell? If so then it was made for Saginaw Steering Gear... Saginaw, MI. If you can see a boxed S'G' positioned upright with the butt on the table top then it was made for (S'G') Saginaw Steering Gear @ Grand Rapids, MI.

Either one makes that a valuable stock if you have the Boxed stamp and Crossed Cannons stamp... Even with a rebuild stamp on it. Just a FYI moment.

Enjoy your carbine.

Regards,

Charlie-Painter777