36th Infantry Division WWII, Korea, Vietnam vet Ike Jacket (restoration help)

36thIDAlex

Hello, I recently purchased this Ike off of ebay for my 36th collection as there seems to be a lot of possible interesting research on the vet. Here is his obituary

John Mike Pavlovic, SR passed from this life at the age of 78 on 11-15-02. He was born in Harwick, PA on 8-5-24. John joined the Army at age 15. He started his military career by serving in World War II. In 1949, he met and married Corinne Cox of Wichita Falls. In keeping with his military career, he served during the Korean Conflict, and then served 3 tours of the Viet Nam Conflict. He won 2 Purple Hearts and a Bronze Star. They have lived in Germany, Wichita Falls, TX, Watertown, NY, Ft. Mammoth, NJ, Severn, MD, Russelleton, PA, Ft. Devens, MA. After retiring, they settled down in Burkburnett, TX. This year his health declined and he moved to Sunset Estates in El Reno, OK, Ranchwood Estates, Yukon, OK and has been in the hospital for about a month. John was preceded in death by his parents, Peter and Elizabeth, who were immigrants from Yugoslavia and by 1 brother, Mike. He is survived by his wife of 53 years, Corinne, of the home. His 2 sons, John JR and his wife, Anita of Mustang, OK and Fred and his wife Shirley, of Capitan, NM. He is also survived by his 2 grandchildren, Tina Herrin and Charlie, of Midwest City, OK and Jason Pavlovic of Mustang, OK. He is also survived by his 3 great-grandsons, Nick Clark and Wesley Herrin, Midwest City, OK and Jeremiah Pavlovic of Mustang, OK. Other survivors include his brother Joe Pavlovic and Annie of Cleveland, OH, and his 4 sisters, Amy Tepke and Wayne of Gibsonia, PA, Katherine Moretti and Felice of Cheswick, PA, Rosemary Edwards and Art of Burgettstown, PA and Eleanor Patterson of Lyndhurst, OH. He is also survived by many nieces, nephew, many friends and many friends from the VFW.

As you can see he served during WWII, Korea, and Vietnam (3 tours). During this time he earned a Bronze Star in WWII and 2 Purple Hearts which I haven't found dates for yet. I found his name in the 36th Division History book roster as a member of E Company, 141st Infantry Regiment.

As for the second part of my post, I am looking to restore this uniform with the original ribbons he would have had in 1956 when he purchased the jacket. As far as I can tell from personal knowledge, research, and the date given on the discharge card posted (provided by the museum of the 36th ID) he would have the following: National Defense, Army of Occupation, WWII Victory, American Campaign, EAM w/ 5 campaign stars and 2 arrowheads (assuming he served with the 36th throughout the entire war without serious injuries that would cause him to miss a campaign), Army Good Conduct, Purple Heart, Bronze Star, Presidential Unit Citation.

If anyone knows where I can find these ribbons for the uniform besides just picking them up individually I would greatly appreciate it. I also don't know what other kinds of insignia would be worn on a mid 50s Ike jacket so if anyone has tips for that part as well I would appreciate it.

And any help on research for his service in Vietnam or Korea (my theory is just European occupation force though) would be super awesome.

(also not sure why the photos are uploading sideways. Cant get it to work right, sorry)

post-167017-0-67227700-1521251910_thumb.jpg

post-167017-0-24055400-1521251920_thumb.jpg

Was he Infantry in all three wars, Dose not show on the official Ft Benning list of three time recients of the Combat Infantryman's Badge, but as you see from the last two pages of the topic is that I found a lot that wearing listed.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/268875-the-wwii-korea-vietnam-3rd-award-combat-infantryman-badge-holders-photos-and-biographies/page-11

He does not show in the Korean War Causality database, so he may have received the two purple hearts in WWII, or Vietnam? Or he might never have served in Korea, the VA puts down periods of service, meaning that during the Korean War, Pavlovic may have served say in Germany. Also not getting hits for his service in Vietnam, this this of course dosen't mean anything, it just that there is no online info on him.

He does not show in the Korean War Causality database, so he may have received the two purple hearts in WWII, or Vietnam? Or he might never have served in Korea, the VA puts down periods of service, meaning that during the Korean War, Pavlovic may have served say in Germany. Also not getting hits for his service in Vietnam, this this of course dosen't mean anything, it just that there is no online info on him.

This jacket is dated 1956 and contains 4 combat service stripes ( <3 years) and the 4 other service stripes (12 years passive duty). Based on this information and the date of which he entered into the 36th Division (Dec 43') I am assuming by 1956 all of his combat stripes were from WWII and his service stripes from occupation duty afterward. His left SSI shows the VII Corps which was reactivated in 1950 and stationed in Germany for a few years which would fit the Korean War time period but signify occupation rather than combat.

Based on the other information I think it is safe to say that he served in combat during WWII and Vietnam.

unless I'm missing something the gold stripes/overseas bars are 6 months per bar which is a total of two years overseas

This uniform(posted) may not depict his total service time as it wouldn't have been the uniform he wore upon retirement or during Viet Nam.

unless I'm missing something the gold stripes/overseas bars are 6 months per bar which is a total of two years overseas

This uniform(posted) may not depict his total service time as it wouldn't have been the uniform he wore upon retirement or during Viet Nam.

You are correct, sorry. I meant that it would be at most a little under 2 1/2 years of combat duty or as little as 2 years. Yeah this most likely would have been kept or put up as soon after he bought this the Ike jacket would begin to phase out until it was out of Army inventory around 1960. I assume around that time he updated to the dress greens and kept this one in storage.

What kind of blemishes are there in the liner directly behind the where the ribbons go? With liners you'll see marks as how many ribbon rows there were, plus a CIB above it all.

What kind of blemishes are there in the liner directly behind the where the ribbons go? With liners you'll see marks as how many ribbon rows there were, plus a CIB above it all.

Rexamining it seems to show at least two rows of ribbons with possibly one or two above them. This would line up to most likely be NTL Def, Occupation, WWII Vict, ETO, GCM, PH, BSM, and above what looks to be his CIB.

Rexamining it seems to show at least two rows of ribbons with possibly one or two above them. This would line up to most likely be NTL Def, Occupation, WWII Vict, ETO, GCM, PH, BSM, and above what looks to be his CIB.

Good deal, would or should be the Bronze Star, the Purple Heart for the top two, next row the Good Conduct, the American Campaign (you left this one out) the European Campaign, then the bottom, the WWII Victory, the Army of Occupation, and the National Defense with the CIB crowning it all.

Any marks on the other side where a Presidential Unit Citation would of been pinned? E Company being in the 2nd Battalion, would have one for COLMAR.

Good deal, would or should be the Bronze Star, the Purple Heart for the top two, next row the Good Conduct, the American Campaign (you left this one out) the European Campaign, then the bottom, the WWII Victory, the Army of Occupation, and the National Defense with the CIB crowning it all.

Any marks on the other side where a Presidential Unit Citation would of been pinned? E Company being in the 2nd Battalion, would have one for COLMAR.

Thank you for the help. Yes there also seems to be the markings of where a PUC used to be!

So if this is all of the ribbons sorted out, what else do I need for the jacket to complete it? What collar insignia would be appropriate for a mid 50s infantry Ike?

Thank you for the help. Yes there also seems to be the markings of where a PUC used to be!

So if this is all of the ribbons sorted out, what else do I need for the jacket to complete it? What collar insignia would be appropriate for a mid 50s infantry Ike?

I would go with a matching set of Domed Brass or Domed Nickle discs, the tricky part is what branch, he may have dropped out of the Infantry at this stage however briefly, seeing for now that VII Corps would contain no organic Corps level Infantry units, and that means no Blue Rope of Blue Backing to the discs, these items were in use by the mid to late 50s (August 1952), only TO&E Infantry organizations would be wearing the Blue stuff, this would be your Divisions and any separate TO&E Infantry Regimental Combat Teams and or Battalions (as mentioned, didn't see so far a separate Infantry unit under VII Corps in Germany in this time period).

However, lots of photo evidence is seen for U.S. and Infantry Discs in the 50s-60s being worn without the blue backing, and no rope, in these cases the guys are in some kind of non infantry staff assignment, other examples are Drill Sergeants and Cadre Instructors and Training posts. So a best guess would be Infantry disc with no blue backing to split the difference.

As to any DIs on the shoulder loops! Would be impossible to know, given we know nothing on his sub unit in VII Corps.

• 2 months later...