Amber lenses in googles

Phfly1010

When would a WW2 fighter pilot wear the amber lenses? I get the dark green for sunny days and clear for darker skies, but the amber?

I'm not sure on it for that time era, but in recent times for helmet visors, the amber or yellow color visors are known as high contrast visors and work good on overcast days for flying. I do have amber lenses for a pair of sunglasses I have and they seem to do the same on overcast or rainy days. Makes things easier to see.

BlueBookGuy

Orange lenses like in the AN-6530 goggles are often referred to as the amber ones, however more correctly amber-colored could be the truly yellow lenses as found in the AN-6531 - style sunglasses optimized for shooters and outdoorsmen.

Possibly available to aviators in late WW2 I think, and technically named 'Kalichrome lenses' by Bausch & Lomb. They are truly lemon-yellow lenses, and different from the more orange-colored ones.

horridohutch

Orange lenses like in the AN-6530 goggles are often referred to as the amber ones, however more correctly amber-colored could be the truly yellow lenses as found in the AN-6531 - style sunglasses optimized for shooters and outdoorsmen.

Possibly available to aviators in late WW2 I think, and technically named 'Kalichrome lenses' by Bausch & Lomb. They are truly lemon-yellow lenses, and different from the more orange-colored ones.

Thanks!