USAF Aerospace Research Pilot School / Starfighter Flight Suit

Nic

I thought I'd share a recent addition to my collection.

A little background......the USAF Aerospace Research Pilot School was started in 1961 to offer the first formal training for US astronauts. The school had 3 highly modified F-104A Starfighters (official designation NF-104A) that had a rocket attached to the tail and 8 Reaction Control System thrusters in the wings and nose. In essence, the pilots would "zoom" these modified Starfighters to heights in excess of 100,000 feet, where they would be weightless for about a minute and get practice using the Reaction Control System. Chuck Yeager was involved in an accident in one of the three Starfighters, which was depicted in the movie, The Right Stuff. The school changed it's designation in 1972 to the USAF Test Pilot School.

This flight suit was being sold by a vintage clothing store in Southern California that mainly dealt in women's clothing. Thankfully this piece won't end up being worn for fashion! I could tell from the photos that the manufacture tag and name tag were missing. Unfortunately, the seller had no information as to the original owner. I was really hoping the pilot wrote his name inside, however I could not find any markings. Overall though, I'm very happy to be the new care taker of it.

post-330-0-56997500-1521227996_thumb.jpg

post-330-0-04479300-1521228012.jpg

post-330-0-47876900-1521228024.jpg

Nic, that's a great find and an awesome flight suit!

Is there any evidence of removed rank patches on the shoulders?

-Derek

Is there any evidence of removed rank patches on the shoulders?

-Derek

Derek,

Thanks! Yes. Both shoulders appear to have had Lt. rank, then later, Capt. rank. I can see shadows/stitching of both ranks.

• 4 years later...

I'm responding to this earlier post as a new member of the forum, this period of the USAF history, particularly the advances made at the Edwards AFB test pilot school. Wish I could get hold of vintage original patches like those on the flight suit, can you advise me. Also the arrangement of the patches on the flight suit, I guess there was specific regulation concerning placement on the garment. I might of expected the adinexplorata and aerospace patches to interchange, the former on the breast and latter on the upper sleeve. Any further information would be appreciated. Thank you, 

Ritty 

I'm responding to this earlier post as a new member of the forum, this period of the USAF history, particularly the advances made at the Edwards AFB test pilot school. Wish I could get hold of vintage original patches like those on the flight suit, can you advise me. Also the arrangement of the patches on the flight suit, I guess there were specific regulation concerning placement on the garment. I might of expected the adinexplorata and aerospace patches to interchange, the former on the breast and latter on the upper sleeve. Any further information would be appreciated. Thank you, 

Ritty 

• 10 months later...
JMcCulloch

That is one heck of a suit. The USAF TPS is as prestigious- if not more so- than Top Gun. The blue patch matters a lot! 

Only the best of the very best go to TPS. I read in 2021 there were over 800 applications for twenty slots. Most officers in the program are Majors and not a few Colonels.