3 WWI Bullion Wings for Discussion: 2 Similar to Documented Wings & An Italian Made by Pesce, Pisa

Jayhawker353

Jayhawker353

This is the first wing, which I will refer to as "Wing A". I see multiple wings resembling this construction in books, but have no reference on the brass plate and roll catch. Bears a strong resemblance to Campbell's Number 13. I personally like it, but I am skeptical of that type of catch, which I don't think was commonly used at that time. It adds a little authenticity to me that you can actually see where the "US" letters were, and how they warped the other bullion before falling off.

post-155250-0-69593500-1521218716_thumb.jpg

Jayhawker353

The second Wing, which I will refer to as "Wing B" reminds me of Campbell's Number 17A. I thought his remark that he found Number 17A to have, "the least artistic merit of all" was interesting. I actually think this has an attractive construction... To each his own. Whether or not is original I'm not positive.

post-155250-0-34772100-1521219290_thumb.jpg

Jayhawker353

"Wing C" Italian made by Pesce of Pisa. I'm fond of this one. I like the impression on the paper label. Patina to bullion wire seems right and it's just cool to see an Italian made example with the label.

post-155250-0-47876600-1521219692_thumb.jpg

Jayhawker353

Hi Chris,

I am suspicious of the deceased man whose collection these came from. He knowingly burned me on a fake when I was younger and greener for a decent chunk of change. That doesn't mean that his private collection didn't have some nice examples in it. Just doing my homework.

These are great wings, and are 100% vintage. The concerns you have about the catch are not really something you should worry about, as it is EXACTLY the way it should be.

What is interesting to me is that I have (and I have seen) this pattern of wing in set up to be directly sewn on the uniform, or on a metal plate/pin so it can be removed from the uniform. It just seemed that they made them both ways. Yet, the mounted version seems to command a MUCH higher price, sometimes 2-3X as much as the unmounted wing.

Go figure. These are supper nice wings, and I think the Italian-made piece is spectacular.

Jayhawker353,

The old timers used to say; "always do right and fear no man." It is my hope that you got these three wings for a very good price and that, in some small way, makes up for the injustice served by him upon your younger self.

They are certainly three "good" wings.

Also, as Patrick said, the rare V'zo (likely Vincenzo) Pesce, Pisa-made badge is both wonderful and important--it is very rare to discover a maker of bullion badges.

Congratulations!

Chris

"Wing C" Italian made by Pesce of Pisa. I'm fond of this one. I like the impression on the paper label. Patina to bullion wire seems right and it's just cool to see an Italian made example with the label.

THIS ITALIAN WING IS DEAD ON, ITS IDENTICAL TO THE ONE BOUGHT AND WORN IN ITALY BY LT. BYRON BILDERBACK. A VERY SCARCE WING, ONLY THE SECOND ONE I HAVE SEEN OVER THE YEARS. AS FOR THE OTHER TWO I HAVE NO DOUBTS ABOUT THEM EITHER. AT FIRST GLANCE I THOUGHT THE FIRST ONE WAS A BRIT MADE WING DUE TO THE FAT SHIELD IN ANY CASE THEY ARE NICE AND WILL FIT INTO YOUR COLLECTION VERY WELL.

TERRY