Early Vietnam poncho liner?

Username

I have the opportunity to pick up what appears to be one of the early Vietnam era poncho liners, but I have never had my hands on one before and would very much appreciate some second opinions before I decide to purchase.

I am comparing it to other examples I can find online and it looks correct, but the fabric is not completely smooth like I am seeing on others. It has an almost ripstop look to it.

Here's some pics

post-153820-0-81328400-1521134041_thumb.jpg

Yes, early Vietnam poncho liner (never, ever call it a woobie please.) On my list of wants, go for it!

Thanks, I'm liking it. It's marked DSA-1-6997 which apparently is a 1964 contract. I just worked out a deal with the seller for $150. Not cheap, but a fair price I think for one of these liners. Fairly confident I could resell it for more if I ever needed to.

Yes, early Vietnam poncho liner (never, ever call it a woobie please.) On my list of wants, go for it!

LOL..yes..anything but that!

I have a couple of the ERDL 70's ones, center seamed..found them in new un-used condition! the 1974 has some fade, but all strings are intact, as new!

I LOVE them for camping and hiking..and to be honest, to wrap up in on lazy day on a chilly Michigan fall/winter/spring morning!

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Actually this pic makes the bottom one above look washed out..Iit has way more color and pattern than the pic shows. ;)

I agree...$150 isnt too bad at all...these dont come around often..i had two in the past and regret selling them, think i got $150-$200 for them..i seem to remember them being non rip stop camo , i could be mistaken though it was awhile ago......mike

I have a woodlands camo and it is the most comfortable blanket in the world, sorry off topic.

Indeed! My fave for a cool Michigan morning to wrap up in!

My M-65 field jacket has been the best (yes, even better than Peacoat! ONLY due to better flexibilty and mobilty..Peacoat is still the warmest I'd say) cold weather outer wear since I button a liner into it..which is made of same stuff, just in OD green..(04 contract for the liner, '82 white label for M-65..yes I wear it! ;) )

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice early liner and well worth the price. Some might feel that $150-200 is too much, no way, how many of these do you come across. My rule of thumb has always been do not walk away or pass on an uncommon item over a few dollars, you will soon regret it. Something else I tell friends is that you will spend more money and time driving around to shows, estate sales, swap meets etc...looking for an item you passed on because you didn't want to spend a few extra dollars. I am not saying to go out and mortgage the house or go into debt to fill a void in your collection, but if you can afford it and know the rarity you should buy it. You can always sell something if it turns out you are uncomfortable with what you paid.

Very nice early liner and well worth the price. Some might feel that $150-200 is too much, no way, how many of these do you come across. My rule of thumb has always been do not walk away or pass on an uncommon item over a few dollars, you will soon regret it. Something else I tell friends is that you will spend more money and time driving around to shows, estate sales, swap meets etc...looking for an item you passed on because you didn't want to spend a few extra dollars. I am not saying to go out and mortgage the house or go into debt to fill a void in your collection, but if you can afford it and know the rarity you should buy it. You can always sell something if it turns out you are uncomfortable with what you paid.

+1 :)

Couldn't agree more. I have seen examples in far worse condition sell for more. In fact, this is probably the nicest one I have ever seen. There is zero damage or any noticeable wear. It just appears to have been washed a few times. Most of the time when I see these the quilting is coming apart and the tag is either gone or too faded to read. I don't regret picking this one up at all.

• 11 months later...

It's interesting that this is made if RIP-stop material. I have one exactly like it but my spec tag is black / grayish in color marked DSA - 1 - 6997 as well.

IIRC my Dalmation liked the early parachute pattern liner back in the 90s, she knew lots about militaria, good taste. Its packed away in a container somewhere ..To much stuff. Found my tour jacket.post-6975-0-07954100-1553292254.jpeg