5th Marines 3rd Battalion Patch

abqpropguy

So I picked up this WWI Marine uniform the other day....the patch on the shoulder is in pretty bad shape.....but even though I could not pass it by!

Any advice and or suggestions on how to preserve it. I thought about doing some tiny stitches to hold it in place.....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Great tunic !!! Just take care... dont touch...

Any name inside ?

I have not yet opened it up much yet! Tomorrow for sure!!

Very nice tunic, as stated, leave it alone! I have seen this before on the 3/5 patches with the silk background. Thismonemismactualky better than others I have seen. Kevin

I wouldn't do a thing to it. It's survived reasonably well for being 100 years old. Anything you do to it will change it's status from nice original to "messed with"

Here is a pic of the coat (it also came with the pants too!) Overall, the coats and pants are in very good shape...I am so sad the coolest part of the coat is disintegrating!

Posted Image

Posted Image

I guess I have a different perspective, as I think the SSI looks fantastic. The embroidered part of the patch is perfect, with the blue backing (silk?) showing its age. Honestly, that patch will outlive all of us, so I think it's just great.

It was missing the 2nd button down from the top....but it was found in the right pocket!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So no name found in the coat or the pants. Here are some more photos. I put it on a mannequin torso as well!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

That makes a wonderful display, i would be proud to have that in my own collection. A 3/5 uniform in ANY condition is a tough find. Nice Type I discs perfectly appropriate for a fourth brigade to boot. Congratulations! Kevin

You could put it in a shadow box to protect the patch.

Probably should. Less exposure to atmosphere and handling. The patch will not be as exposed to light.... agreed.

Further...avoid moving it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

congrats, on a great find,100 years old, i would leave it just as it is, i hope i look that good at 100 years old , thank you for showing it to all , Gerard