HGU-33 wondering what aircraft it was used in...

horridohutch

horridohutch

Its an HGU-33.... just not sure what aircraft it was used in. Seems that it would have the visor taped and have the Velcro too if it was a fleet helmet. The man selling it says he got it from an adversary pilot that flew during the 80s. I am especially wondering about the amp setup and boom mike combo.It looks like a Navy plug and amp. Has anyone seen this before and can you share with me your thoughts? I wouldn't mind getting a new helmet..... :-)

post-133566-0-27203800-1520730777.jpg

post-133566-0-44526800-1520730796_thumb.jpg

post-133566-0-63607100-1520730816_thumb.jpg

horridohutch

Well initially I am wondering if this is a HGU-42 since it has the CX-4832A used on the APH-6D1X. I have seen in NAVAIR 00-80T-101, pgs 2-387 and 2-388.... that style plug but only on the APH style helmet. Not on the 33.... The boom mike I guess could indicate use on the S3-A, this as well as the plug. I am thinking my seller was sold a bill of goods in that the person he bought it from may have talked up the helmet.

Im pretty sure the P3 aircraft used that type of plug (I say looks like a 9v batt terminals) and a boom. I think the Viking uses that U-384 5 conductor plug, looks like a slightly longer U-174 used by the USAF and Army but has 1 more conductor and they are red, not black rings.

horridohutch

Thanks Mohawk, I had not even thought of the Orion. A lot of time those guys just wore headsets. I think they only wore helmets on take off and landing...at least I heard that recently on the boards here. The plug is the type that looks like a 9v plug. Again I think this guy selling it was lied to or he is to me.

I wonder if the person it was worn by had a cool visor tape job and decided to keep that when the helmet was turned in or replaced and a new un taped housing was added. I wouldnt doubt P3 crews wore them during critical phases of flight or also in a true combat environment. I have seen them wear headsets as well like you said.

I also believe that one was used on a P-3 Orion. I have a couple helmets that are taped and VP squadron ID'd with the same plug. Some have O2 mask fittings and some don't.

Chris

horridohutch

Looking through what I have from NAVAIR and what you all are telling me, its deffo P-3 crew. The guy selling it has been looking all over ebay and cant find a 47/P now he thinks its some rare helmet. I met him at an estate sale about a year ago and thought I had met another collector. Now I only hear from him when he has something to sell, at retail prices. Last time I showed interest in some Wasp engine manuals I got the song and dance about how he was out of work for the summer and had 5 kids to feed..... verbatim gentlemen! I told him from the gitgo that I would only trade if I had something he wanted and vice versa. I think he missed that part of the conversation. Thanks for letting me rant..... back to the topic at hand I too was wondering about the untaped visor and wondered if someone had decided to keep that and replaced it. Maybe even thinking they could maximize profit by selling a fancy taped one... wow guys I need a break! My cynicism is oozing from every pore!