Father & Son group WW1

Graybeard

post-152114-0-48922100-1520724644_thumb.jpg

Hello. I purchased this group of medals recently thinking they belonged to Maj. E.L. Messler, 21st Engineers, USA, as named on the SAR medal. After some research on him, I discovered he had a son serving at the same time in the 1st Gas & Flame regiment, Co. B, named Thomas D. Messler. He was wounded and gassed and also received a Croix de Guerre. Those two medals, if ever issued, are unfortunately missing. Thomas also served in the Marines during WW2. If anyone has any knowledge of these gentlemen or recommendations on how to find out more about them, please let me know. I have only been able to locate Thomas' grave marker in Florida, a reference about him in a book on the Gas & Flame regiment and a short biography on his father in a Yale alumni article.

thanks,

The War Medal is not impressed which surprised me when I first received them. Maybe American recipients didn't receive engraved medals? And, I don't know if it was awarded to the father or son, I am guessing the father as he was an officer. Appreciate the image of the enlistment card! I will check out Ancestry this week.

Americans were not authorized to receive the BWM unless they served in the British military. A member of the American military serving with a British unit would not be eligible.

Good to know so that means the medal may be an add on, given by an aquaintance, who knows? Thanks for the insight.