Vietnam era boonies with brightly colored interiors

Bob Hudson

This has a salty exterior in a camo style I don't know. Turn it over and its blue satin and a green forest.

Where these made in Vietnam? This came from the estate of an Admiral who CO of the USS Kitty Hawk 66-67, so I assume it could have been picked up enroute to Vietnam.

Is the camo pattern something darker that faded? It doesn't look quite like the other Vietnam boonie and cowboy hat camos.

1.jpg

1a.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Well used Viet made cowboy boonie hats

Thanks. Wish I knew the story of how it ended up with an aviator admiral. Don't think it got to be that way aboard the Kitty Hawk.

Common to see a variety of colors in the hats.I have seen pink,red.blue,light blue,green,light yellow,purple etc.THe Vietnamese wasted nothing when it came to making items.They used what ever they had and the interior wasn't going to be seen when worn.

Some of these saw more wear after the war than during.One of my school teachers wore his duck and pheasant hunting here for years and then his kids wore ot too for Halloween and for hunting.

Beau-Brummel

Hi Bob,

It's parachute material.

As was previously mentioned the Viets were very thrifty hence you will often see hats lined, or badges backed with brightly coloured off cuts.

Also the option was available to pick gaudy or higher quality linings I believe. That might be the case with yours and was most certainly so with this one.

Best Regards, Guy.

post-1781-0-13472400-1520689306.jpg