National Naval Aviation Museum

No Quarter

Very fortunate to visit the National Naval Aviation Museum in Pensecola, Florida yesterday. Been getting sunburnt and having long nights over Spring Break so it was nice to visit the museum for a slow day. First off, the museum is incredible, it is on par with the US Air Force Museum in Dayton, Ohio. The exhibits start with WWI and end with today. My college roommate and I met a WWII veteran who was a flight engineer on a PBY Catalina. Awesome stories he had. The museum is located on a Naval Base where the Blue Angels are stationed and trained. Great museum, free admission, so it is well worth the visit!

Jacob

post-162535-0-86710300-1520436897_thumb.jpg

SBD Dauntless, this exact aircraft was present during the attack on Pearl Harbor and was a Battle of Midway veteran.

post-162535-0-06586600-1520437126_thumb.jpg

WWII Japanese flag. The flag has amazing detail with the dragon and tiger drawings. Never seen something like that before.

post-162535-0-23354100-1520437243_thumb.jpg

Great photos....thanks for posting. That museum is on my list of places to go and just have not been able to get there yet.

Jacob,

You are right, the US Naval Aviation Museum is AWESOME! My wife (who normally is not into museums at all) and I LOVED this place. I'm from Mansfield, Ohio and have been to the USAF Museum in Dayton many times over the past 40 years and I feel that the Naval Museum, although smaller, is done even better than Dayton. I've always had a passion for naval aviation and carriers. The models of the various USN carriers is amazing. These models are huge and the details are incredible. The aircraft on display are so historic. Most of my photos are copies of yours. The SBD Dauntless gave me goosebumps. The history that plane was present for is really something. The only disappointment was that the Blue Angels hadn't returned for the weekly practices as of our visit in February. We are definitely going to spend a couple of days there next winter. And it's all free! Gotta love the US military museums. If you have time there is a nice USAF museum over at Elgin AFB detailing the history of USAF bombs, missiles and other weapons systems. Lots of USAF aircraft on static display including the B-52, and the Blackbird among many others.

TD

Very fortunate to visit the National Naval Aviation Museum in Pensecola, Florida yesterday. Been getting sunburnt and having long nights over Spring Break so it was nice to visit the museum for a slow day. First off, the museum is incredible, it is on par with the US Air Force Museum in Dayton, Ohio. The exhibits start with WWI and end with today. My college roommate and I met a WWII veteran who was a flight engineer on a PBY Catalina. Awesome stories he had. The museum is located on a Naval Base where the Blue Angels are stationed and trained. Great museum, free admission, so it is well worth the visit!

Jacob