M4A2 medium tank 3rd Tk Bn Iwo Jima

etienne

skypilot6670

That first Sherman is top shelf. It is amazing . Thanks for posting and I’m looking forward to more on the second one. You’re truly an artist. Thanks Mike

Really a very nice job on that Sherman. Loved the shading and weathering, your tools are top notch and the cast numbers really puts it over the top.

Semper Fi.

Manny

• 2 weeks later...

Hello gents,

thanks for all you comments, I made some progress on the second Sherman, building 55 gal stacks ...

img_1181.jpg

Still have to finish the other one :blush:

E

• 2 months later...

Hello gents,

late update about the M4A2 ... the model is almost finished, still needs dust and grime ^_^

E

post-17306-0-35338700-1529926036.jpg

post-17306-0-26637500-1529926065.jpg

... another build in my Sherman's serie, a 5th Tk Bn M4A3 on Iwo Jima this time ... sorry to all historians, the camouflage pattern, markings and added protections are all fictional, inspired and based on real photos but I wanted to avoid the "too often seen" commercial decals ;)

The ID # on the wood planks and wading stack are stenciled ...

E

post-17306-0-48272600-1529926852.jpg

post-17306-0-47589800-1529926863.jpg

... still in need of chicken wire on the hatches and sand bags / crew's paraphernalia on the engine deck :wacko:

post-17306-0-33347400-1529926895.jpg

That is a very nice build "E". I like it that you took creative liberties with the decals. I know some sites can be sticklers for such stuff.

I like the camo and the wooden planks look great.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Thank you all for your comments ;)

That is a very nice build "E". I like it that you took creative liberties with the decals. I know some sites can be sticklers for such stuff.

I like the camo and the wooden planks look great.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Being a long time collector, I really think that authenticity is a key concern when it comes to militaria ... but in modeling, I think a little bit of liberty easily compensates the lack of historical evidences :P

The M4A3 received its load of sandbags ...

post-17306-0-06968400-1530613386.jpg

post-17306-0-27773400-1530613395.jpg

post-17306-0-17547400-1530613406_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I finally got time to finish the weathering and took outdoor shots of the Shermans ... ;)

First one, 5th Tank Battalion tank with rear wading stack (the engine deck's one was often discarder just after landing) and protection add-ons, 16-penny nails on TC hatch, chicken wire on other hatches, sandbags and wood planks armor on hull's sides ...

post-17306-0-90494000-1531637507.jpg

post-17306-0-16827800-1531637539_thumb.jpg

Next, two 3rd Tank Bn tank from Company A, the first one got a mix of fieldmade (front) and standard wading stacks seen sometime ... and the second one has a set of fieldmade stacks, built to receive 55 gallons drums in wading configuration ...

post-17306-0-52167800-1531638162_thumb.jpg

post-17306-0-32687400-1531638176_thumb.jpg

PS : this Co.A Sherman is not totally accurate, as I found some period photos of "Ann" on Iwo Jima and she should have standard wading stacks ... sorry for the historical inaccuracy, I already planned to build another "Ann' that will be correct ;)

post-17306-0-38995800-1531638368.jpg

Proud Kraut

Etienne,

some of the finest paint & weathering jobs I have seen here for a while. Excellent Shermans, thanks for sharing your projects.

Lars

P.S.: Congratulaitions for winning the FIFA world cup 2018. It was a pleasure to watch the French team playing!

Etienne,

some of the finest paint & weathering jobs I have seen here for a while. Excellent Shermans, thanks for sharing your projects.

Lars

P.S.: Congratulaitions for winning the FIFA world cup 2018. It was a pleasure to watch the French team playing!

Thanks Lars for your comment :) ... still have two other Sherman in the "assembly line", probably one for the Marianas campaign, and the other for Okinawa ...

E

Just fantastic Etienne! Many hours invested in those masterpieces!!

Hello Graham,

glad to read from you... this Iwo Jima Shermans project took me 6 months but it was very interesting to bring together scale modeling and militaria ?

Cheers, E

WOW!!! I've tackled a couple Iwo Jima Shermans myself (4th and 5th Tk Bn), but yours are SUPERB. Fantastic attention to detail, and your finishing is top notch. Mind if I ask what you used for the "Marine Green" on your Shermans?

Well done, mate!

Ski

Outstanding.Such great work aand dtail.Always like seeing tes and additions of your work.

Thanks for your comment, Doyler !!

WOW!!! I've tackled a couple Iwo Jima Shermans myself (4th and 5th Tk Bn), but yours are SUPERB. Fantastic attention to detail, and your finishing is top notch. Mind if I ask what you used for the "Marine Green" on your Shermans?

Well done, mate!

Ski

Hi Ski, thank you for your comment !! Regarding the paint color, I use mostly Vallejo Model Air acrylic paint and the one I used for the green Sherman is Olive Drab 71043, then I applied several filters / washes to enrich the color.

Cheers, E