M4A2 medium tank 3rd Tk Bn Iwo Jima

etienne

Hello,

some may ask what I did for 2 years during that long pause away from militaria ... I went back to modelling after a 30 years break, mostly focusing on cold-war and modern days european armor (french, british and swedish mainly).

A few weeks ago, I thought it was time to reconciliate my two hobbies ... armor modelling and USMC/USN collection ;) ... guess what ! I began my first Sherman build (... be sure there'll be more)

Here is the beast before paint, with scratchbuild wading stacks ... being a true collector, I couldn't resist dating the tank (see foundry marks on the 3-44 dated turret, reproduced from a real Iwo Jima photo).

img_1129.jpg
img_1130.jpg
img_1131.jpg

Hope you like it ... E

Welcome back Etienne! The attention to detail is as exquisite as your collection of militaria! I look forward to seeing the finished Sherman along side the Iwo photo!

Cheers, Graham

That's a fine looking Sherman. I especially like the additional foundry markings on the turret and the wading stacks look superb. Great job!

Rene

Proud Kraut

Very clean, detailed & accurate construction. I like it a lot and can't wait to see your Sherman painted! Excellent.

Lars

Hello,

thank you all for your comments ... I'll post the final result as soon as the last steps will be completed ;)

E

I suggest you check out the Modeling the Sherman Tank group on Facebook. Based on the skill of your work, you'd be right at home with those guys. Wish I was that good :)

Hello,

thanks for your comments ... here is the Sherman primed and basecoated. Time has come for weathering, next week end if I have time -_-

img_1138.jpgimg_1137.jpg

E

... and because I had time to spend, waiting for paint and clear coat to fully cure, I began another one ... same Fisher mid-production M4A2, but different base kit (Tasca with TMD upper hull) ;)

img_1145.jpg

with scratchbuild pistol port, just for the pleasure :P

img_1140.jpg

E

Nice paint job on the first Sherman. I like that cast turret look to it. Looking forward to the rest of this build.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Proud Kraut

Excellent build and paintjob so far! Did you airbrush the Sherman with clear varnish before applying the decals?

Lars

Excellent build and paintjob so far! Did you airbrush the Sherman with clear varnish before applying the decals?

Lars

Hello Lars,

thanks for your comment and yes ... acrylic clear coat under the decals, then another targeted layer to seal them before weathering.

E

Hello,

the Sherman project progressed substantially since last posting ... tracks, first steps of weathering and dusting ... still have details to work on and final weathering, next week probably ;)

img_1154.jpg
img_1158.jpg
img_1155.jpg
img_1157.jpg

E

Nice paint job. I like the subtle weathering and the cast numbers on the turret and hull. This is coming out really nice.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Hello,

thanks for your comments B)

Nice paint job. I like the subtle weathering and the cast numbers on the turret and hull. This is coming out really nice.

Semper Fi.

Manny

About weathering, here is a before / after filters to show the difference ...

compar10.jpg

Foundry marks are a very interesting research topic and finally give the model some real life aspect ... the front differential and mantlet markings were already present in the kit, I only added the turret's but on the second model, everything's is "home made" from Archer foundry decals.

img_1147.jpgimg_1149.jpgimg_1148.jpg

E

Hello,

the first Sherman is now nealry finished, oils were used to create dirt and grime, and accentuate the shadows ... next step will be dust and adding the antenna ...

img_1163.jpg

While the first Sherman is waiting for it's dusting, I worked on the second one and added the applique armor plates on the hull ... and some welds all around ;)

img_1170.jpgimg_1171.jpg

E