M-38 tanker helmet

cerick1450

Thanks Pudgy. I really like the look of the dust respirator on yours. I haven't seen many pictures of them in use. I'm not sure if thats because they weren't used often, or guys weren't photographed wearing them often. I remember seeing a photo of a tank crew wearing them early or pre war and another photo on Johan Willaert's website of a motorcyclist wearing one. Considering how much dust a mechanized column creates I'm surprised the respirators aren't seen more often.

Yeah, I can't imagine the dust that would create, especially in the African campaign. I'm sure it was a pain to take them off and on, and the soldiers were more worried about other things. Did you mount your R14 wires on the inside or outside of the helmet?

My dad said he wore the mask in North Africa and maybe Sicily but not after that. He wore resistols early and then Polaroids. When he used 43s he preferred red but also used clear. He was in 2AD.

This photo was posted by Jeeper704 of some tankers on an M3 Lee that appear to wearing some sort of dust respirator. I can't tell if they're wearing the M1 type of something else.

post-3508-0-76779700-1521496701.jpg

Were the tanker helmets the same construction used in Korea as were used in WW2? Was the shell the same? Was there a distinct difference between the WW2 Tanker helmets and the Korean war worn Tanker helmets? What I'm getting at, is that I am possibley interested in purchasing a Tanker's Helmet. The seller isn't sure, but he thought that the Tanker helmet may be Korean War. To me it looked identical to the WW2 M38 helmet.

The Rawlings Pattern tank helmet, usually referred to as the 1938 Pattern tank helmet, was indeed used during the Korean War. Inventories were low on this type helmet however and M4A2 flak helmets were issued instead but were universally unpopular.

Larry

Just a few bits of advice when purchasing a M1938 helmet: be sure it is USGI. The postwar French tanker helmets are somewhat similar in appearance to the WW2 M1938 and some people try to sell the French ones as USGI. Also, be sure to verify that all the straps, flaps and snaps are present and intact. There are straps/flaps on the helmet that are made of very thin leather, and are easily damaged and impossible to fix or replace. The elastic stap is removable and is impossible to find on the loose.

When dropping a few hundred bucks on one of these, its always best to do a little research and ask questions so you're sure to get what your looking for.

Thanks for the info.. I just picked up a tanker helmet.... but I will start another separate thread.. Thanks, I hope you chime in...

Moonlight Gecko

Some of the few pictures I've seen of M1944 goggles being worn by WWII tankers. 1st Armored Division crossing the Po River in late April of 1945.

post-339-0-96824400-1523314991_thumb.jpg

second picture

Very cool photos, thanks for posting them . Any clue what those 2 tall loops are on the top of the turret just behind the mantlet? Obviously a field modification, but why? To protect the loader's periscope?

Moonlight Gecko

According to the caption, the two tall hoops "protect a 'donkey sight' above the commander's periscope, used for indirect artillery fire."

According to the caption, the two tall hoops "protect a 'donkey sight' above the commander's periscope, used for indirect artillery fire."

Interesting modification. Thanks for the quick reply.

• 9 months later...

It's a movie and they thought they were different enough to distinguish the character, Interesting though. I know some of the people who were advisors to the movie and they still react with disgust when you bring up the M-44 goggle debacle

The M-1944s used in the movie are actually RAF contract Polaroids made in London.