D-day LST 285 grouping to Dr Slattery sold in 2013

Jean-Loup

Does anyone know where the LST 285 grouping related to Dr Slattery currently resides? The grouping was sold in 2013 as can be seen in this link: https://historical.ha.com/itm/handguns/semiautomatic-pistol/important-us-colt-model-1911a1-semi-automatic-pistol-d-day-ensemble-from-lst-285-medical-officer-total-12-items-/a/6105-32299.s

I would very much like to get in contact with the current owner, simply to obtain copies of some of the paperwork of this grouping, in relations to the southern France invasion. For the record I have written a book about Operation Dragoon, and keep on researching this operation today. I would be ready to pay for the service of receiving copies of part of the paperwork.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Jean-Loup

TheMinistryOfAviation

Have you tried seeing if Heritage Auction would pass along a message?

I see the owner is currently entertaining offers, but who knows how high you'd have to go to get the items...

If you're not a member of Heritage I am, and I have a bidding history too. I'd be happy to pass along any note should you wish it.

-Jeremy

Hi

I am looking at the anouncement from my work computer, which is preventing me from seeing the page properly.

Are you saying the items are currently for sale? I got the impression they had been sold in 2013.

I am not a member of Heritage Auction, but it would be very kind of you if you could transmit a message to them for me. You can say that Jean-Loup Gassend, author of a book on Operation Dragoon, would like to obtain copies of one specific part of the documents being sold, and I would be glad to pay for this service. My email is jean-loup[at]gassend.com

It would be great if the seller would contact me.

Thanks for your help. Please tell me if you are able to pass my messgae to the seller, and if not I will try contacting heritage auction.

JL

TheMinistryOfAviation

So at Heritage you can choose to take offers on lots you win; so even though the auction ended in 2013 the owner is taking offers for the items. Of course given the auction ended at $8000 I'd imagine they wouldn't take less than $10,000 for it.

I'll pass your note along and see what happens! Will try and update you by weeks end on if I hear back.

-Jeremy

Thanks. Can you pass the message on directly to the seller, or do you need to pass through Heritage?

TheMinistryOfAviation

I'm honestly not sure. Typically you can't contact people who win individual lots, but since they're entertaining offers it might be possible; I'll check on it tonight when I can get to a desktop. If not, I'll try going through Heritage for you.

-Jeremy

Thanks again.

Interestingly I came across this acocunt of a sailor on LST 285 who mentions Dr Slattery. This info would interest any owner of the grouping:

I remember a Dr. Slattery, I believe that was his name, asking me to go down to the shipfitters shop and get half a dozen pieces of angle iron, 2 feet long, which I did. I found out when I returned with the metal he wanted me to tape the arms he had amputated to the metal and throw them over board. I didn't have any problem with this but the shipfitter was a bit upset because he had given me very good metal. He told me later if he had known what the doctor wanted the metal for he would have given me some scrap from around the shop instead of the good material.

TheMinistryOfAviation

That's insane! Good heavens! haha

I sent along the note through Heritage. As I was afraid, there is no way to directly contact the owner of the lot.. When clicking the "make an offer" button it only allows me to make a physical offer.. not contact the owner. I'm sorry I couldn't do more. Hopefully Heritage will forward it along, and fortunately the owner will check their Heritage emails!

I'll let you know if I hear back; otherwise the owner will hopefully contact you!

-Jeremy

Thanks. Now we will wait and see. Anybody buying the groupe will probably google the name Slatteyr and find this thread in any case.