USS Lexington found !

Thor996

If any of those planes are lying on the ocean floor and not in the ship itself, I'd love to see them brought up to the surface.

Kurt

Patchcollector

I agree that it would be a great tribute to raise at least one plane,restore it and use it as a Monument to those that perished on that famous ship.

If it were possible to safely bring up that amazingly preserved plane, I would be in favor of it.

That would be a difficult, costly endeavor however....recovery, preservation, conservation, etc.

I understand the other side's arguments as well...to leave it alone. Valid points.....

The reality is that it's amazing that they have found it at all....and the rest is a moot point for the foreseeable future.

Awesome find! I wonder what's next on Allen's list? Not sure I heard about the Indianapolis find last August. As per the Wildcat there is a GA---R visible for sure, maybe the bottom of a couple other bits before it just barely peeking out from under the crud. I don't know what the build up is but if it is soft enough perhaps a ROV's arm could solve that mystery at least?

phantomfixer

it is my understanding, the aircraft pictured, were washed off the deck as the Lexington went down, and are scattered along the ocean floor for miles, excellent preservation of the aircraft...much better condition than the Glacier Gal was in, at least structurally...and I would be on the side of raising a few of the planes..

Raising a plane may not be out of the question. A large piece of the hull of the Titanic was brought to the surface for display. But I think survivors of the sinking should put in their word on what to do.

post-162535-0-92325400-1521044996_thumb.jpg

post-162535-0-92325400-1521044996_thumb.jpg

Patchcollector

I remember reading about how Howard Hughes and the CIA raised part of a Russian submarine from an ocean depth of nearly 17,000 feet, or three miles.
That was an astounding feat.Raising an Aircraft would be relatively easy in comparison.