USS Lexington found !

Thor996

from the same group that found the USS Indianapolis:

https://www.paulallen.com/uss-lexington-wreck-located-rv-petrel/

Wreckage from the USS Lexington was discovered by the expedition crew of Research Vessel (R/V) Petrel on March 4. The Lexington was found 3,000 meters (about two miles) below the surface, resting on the floor of the Coral Sea more than 500 miles off the eastern coast of Australia.

“To pay tribute to the USS Lexington and the brave men that served on her is an honor,” said Paul Allen. “As Americans, all of us owe a debt of gratitude to everyone who served and who continue to serve our country for their courage, persistence and sacrifice.”

As one of the first U.S. aircraft carriers ever built, the Lexington became known as “Lady Lex” and went down with 35 aircraft on board.

Lexington was on our priority list because she was one of the capital ships that was lost during WWII,” said Robert Kraft, director of subsea operations for Mr. Allen. “Based on geography, time of year and other factors, I work with Paul Allen to determine what missions to pursue. We’ve been planning to locate the Lexington for about six months and it came together nicely.”

Those photos are amazing. To see WWII aircraft with their original paint and markings is just incredible.

Now that they have found it, albeit 2 miles down, I wonder if they will try to recover any of the aircraft? The last I heard the Naval Air Museum did not have a TBD-1 Devastator in its collection. Stranger things have happened.

Amazing news! You never know what they might try in regard to recovery.

I'm still amazed at how well preserved wrecks are at those depths. It'll also make it harder for relic hunters to get at her!

Steindaddie

All my life I've read about the Lexington, and there she is.

I got the news late, and in my excitement I just had to wake the wife and tell her the good news. Vastly less enthralled than I, she mumbled a few words and went back to sleep.

Schofield1943

As a war grave I think it's probably unlikely they remove anything from the site.

Paul Allen and his team are incredible. In the last 5 years they've found what feels like every major missing wreck from WWII. He's like the Indiana Jones of the oceans. With billions of dollars to boot.

Fantastic find! I'm still in awe of the Indianapolis find. I'm glad these wrecks are in deep water and hopefully away from the scrap medal pirates who are removing entire wrecks

Mark

Awesome photo.I'm wondering who crewed that bird.

Have to admit, I've been trying to figure that out.

There were some other photos posted, and you can make out a couple letters of the name under the cockpit. Based off of others educated guesses, I'm inclined to believe this one was Lt Noel Gayler's.

post-5941-0-56544300-1520351582_thumb.jpg

Well, the state of conservation of the planes is simply amazing :blink: ... I guess that the conditions, depth, no light, temperature and probably salinity level, were fulfilled for this excellent preservation of an historical ship ...

E

​To my knowledge to date, the TBD Devastator is a extinct aircraft and these seem to be in pristine condition. I hope they plan on raising a few of these birds.

​To my knowledge to date, the TBD Devastator is a extinct aircraft and these seem to be in pristine condition. I hope they plan on raising a few of these birds.

IMO LEAVE them on the floor of the ocean

Why? You do realize that no Devastators exist above the ocean floor?! and if you think they make a better memorial there I would argue that it's better justice being preserved and displayed. These planes are not tombs. The TBD is a very historically significant aircraft to winning the war in the Pacific. Having at least one restored on display honors all those pilots and aircrew who DID make that ultimate sacrifice. VT-8 in Midway knowingly launched and flew to their demise, they knew they weren't coming back.

Why? You do realize that no Devastators exist above the ocean floor?! and if you think they make a better memorial there I would argue that it's better justice being preserved and displayed. These planes are not tombs. The TBD is a very historically significant aircraft to winning the war in the Pacific. Having at least one restored on display honors all those pilots and aircrew who DID make that ultimate sacrifice. VT-8 in Midway knowingly launched and flew to their demise, they knew they weren't coming back.

I do realize that and I stand by my opinion to leave them on the ocean floor.

With the wreck being 2 miles below the surface, and government budgets being what they are, most likely we will not see anything raised.

Plus we are all assuming these are accessible. These are shots from a remotely piloted vehicle, and the aircraft could be well below deck or otherwise obstructed.

I am sure we will have other details eventually.

As for losses, one source puts it at "216 crewmen were killed".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Lexington_(CV-2)

I would like to think there would be a full debate by those involved before anything was recovered.

Have to admit, I've been trying to figure that out.

There were some other photos posted, and you can make out a couple letters of the name under the cockpit. Based off of others educated guesses, I'm inclined to believe this one was Lt Noel Gayler's.

attachicon.gif28577038_10156131576264257_3418745704248468303_n.jpg

Im not sure how reliable this information is, but the Devastator Wikipedia has this posted.

"Near the wreck were the remains of seven Devastators, as well as the F4F-3 Wildcat of Albert O. Vorse Jr., complete with victory markings."

-Adrian

Im not sure how reliable this information is, but the Devastator Wikipedia has this posted.

"Near the wreck were the remains of seven Devastators, as well as the F4F-3 Wildcat of Albert O. Vorse Jr., complete with victory markings."

-Adrian

In one of the published books Vorse is listed as F-5, but there are some known inaccuracies in that list (including a Time photo of Vorse flying I think F-13). At the time the Lex sunk Vorse only had 2 kills, as well. Gayler also only had 2 confirmed at the time, but also had 2 probables. Its also possible the plane was painted up for propaganda purposes, as when Time pictured Butch O'Hare of the same squadron - he was next to an aircraft that was not his with his kill markings on it.

Sure looks like the last letter is an R to me?