USMC Special Olympics Patch ???

shrapneldude

Hi!

Picked this up out in Gettysburg this past weekend. No idea what it's for. Marine Corps, dated '92. Wasn't in at that time. Maybe someone can help me out? Did the Marine Corps have a team at the Special Olympics? Really?

post-1424-1226984649.jpg

Did the Marine Corps have a team at the Special Olympics? Really?

It was made up of 2nd Lt's. :rolleyes:

Actually the Corps - along with other services - provides a lot of support to the Special Olympics including fundraising events and hosting games.

More than likely, the patch was given to a Marine who either helped raise money for the Special Olympics or helped at the Special Olympics with someone who was participating.

I have worked the Special Olympics several times and it is time well spent. It is a wonderful time for the Special Olympians to compete and shine. It is also a much needed break for the parents of special needs children/adults.

Here is a link to an article that you might find interesting: http://www.okinawa.usmc.mil/public%20affai...1031-funds.html

edit: Forum beat me to it!

It was made up of 2nd Lt's. :rolleyes:

Actually the Corps - along with other services - provides a lot of support to the Special Olympics including fundraising events and hosting games.

HAHAHA! w00t.gif

Thanks for the laugh, and the info! Did they wear these patches on an athletic uniform then? Or was it just a novelty type thing?

HAHAHA! w00t.gif

Thanks for the laugh, and the info! Did they wear these patches on an athletic uniform then? Or was it just a novelty type thing?

I would guess it was something handed out to participants in a games.

Someone on ebay had one for 1995:

so95.jpg

I've got one of those lying around someplace. It's basically an "oohrah" patch given out to those working on certain events dealing with Special Olympics. Sort of like the Marine Corps marathon patches.

There are folks out there who collect these, just not very many of them.