Pith Helmet... What have I got?

Schnicklfritz

Schnicklfritz

This one is a little bit of a stump for me. The unusual thing is the grommets on the front for me. It is unmarked, but looks like one of those post WW2 Hawley types. It has been painted over with a lime like green paint. Trying to figure out a timeframe and a who used it. I wonder if it might be NVA reissue perhaps. The painted color kinda reminds me of the NVA pith helmets. It appears to be a tan pith under the paint. The chinstrap is a brownish grey color, not the tan you normally see.

Thoughts and opinions appreciate of course!

post-115-0-70702000-1520001856_thumb.jpg

Schnicklfritz

Here's an interior view. It is not painted, but has that blazing green plastic like finish that you see on post war US pith helmets, but it just doesn't seem to be quite the same.

post-115-0-48533800-1520001999_thumb.jpg

I would say its civilian/commercial.

These were also produced or used in The agricultural industry. Often see them here with implemant dealers logos on them like International Harvestor, Oliver, John Deere etc.Have seen them painted white, orange, green etc.

Schnicklfritz

Thanks for the link Bob. I think the same thing about the paint Tyler. It does match to some webgear I have. The interior is not painted like the exterior, but has that finish like the post war examples. Different color that really doesn't show in the pics. The extra grommett holes are throwing me off too. Didn't think it might be civilian. Was thinking maybe it might be some sort of NVA thing perhaps, but that might be a bit of a reach.