Elemental fire/water protection for my historic documents.

DoubleEnvelopment

DoubleEnvelopment

I have a very nice collection of original combat accounts. Primarily diaries but also telegrams, a flight log and several letters, a few of which date back to the Civil War. Unfortunately for now I live in an apartment and I dread one day something out of my control will happen resulting in my collection getting flooded or burnt to destruction.

The ideas I had for now were to get a fireproof and water resistant safe. I have shopped around online but the reviews on each one seems kind of mixed to the point where I cant decide on one. Does anyone have any experience using these to store documents? My other idea would be to get a large safety deposit box at a bank. Any suggestion or help anyone could give would be most appreciated. I don't know how I could live with myself if something happened to all of this history and I didn't do everything in my power to protect it. Thanks everyone.

Rakkasan187

Our museum uses FIRE KING brand fireproof/waterproof file cabinets.. These are quite sturdy and durable. They are also pricey but they have a 2 drawer file cabinet for around $600. It is expensive but you will have sound piece of mind..

Do some research first of course but as a museum professional I would recommend this type of storage if you have concerns. We actually just converted over to FIRE KING turtle file cabinets for our accession records and we feel much better about the safety of our artifact property jackets now..

Leigh

First off I would start by scanning/photographing them so the information is preserved. A safety deposit box then is a good idea for the originals.

Hi,

You might try asking a question to the professionals who deal with

historical documents and photographs.

Northeast Document Conservation Center, in Andover, Mass.

The question you ask and the answer is free of charge.

Go to the website:

NEDCC.org

Then hit the button,

Free Resources

Then hit the button,

Ask NEDCC

Then a form comes up where you can

ask a question, with up to 300 words,

and send an email to them.

I know the people who work there and they

are all great !!!!

Douglas

Rakkasan187

Douglas,

Great information.. Thank you.. As a Museum professional we are always searching for others in the field with first hand knowledge and expertise. Thanks..We aren't just limited to the knowledge and experience of those in the Army Museum system. It is nice to network with other professionals out there..

P.S. I used to live near Andover, Mass in Salem, NH.. Great folks up there..

Leigh

Douglas,

Great information.. Thank you.. As a Museum professional we are always searching for others in the field with first hand knowledge and expertise. Thanks..We aren't just limited to the knowledge and experience of those in the Army Museum system. It is nice to network with other professionals out there..

P.S. I used to live near Andover, Mass in Salem, NH.. Great folks up there..

Leigh

Leigh,

Which museum do you work at?

Joe

DoubleEnvelopment

Some excellent suggestions everyone. Thanks for all of the great ideas. I really appreciate it.