Summer Service Coat. 81st Div.

nchistory

world war I nerd

Pure speculation ... but, the number 4201?G could be some sort of control or inventory number that was stamped onto a bolt of olive drab cotton fabric by the mill that made it.

Or likewise, a number used to denote a specific piece of the garment like a sleeve or a number that was stenciled onto pre-cut pieces informing the maker that those parts were to be used only when sewing a certain size coat.

Pure speculation ... but, the number 4201?G could be some sort of control or inventory number that was stamped onto a bolt of olive drab cotton fabric by the mill that made it.

Or likewise, a number used to denote a specific piece of the garment like a sleeve or a number that was stenciled onto pre-cut pieces informing the maker that those parts were to be used only when sewing a certain size coat.

Thanks Brian for your input. Is there a specific model for this tunic and trousers? M-12, 17, 18???? Just not exactly sure what to call them.

world war I nerd

Separately I would call it them ... 1917 Olive Drab Cotton Service Coat & 1917 Olive Drab Cotton Service Breeches

Together would be known as ... 1917 Olive Drab Cotton Service Dress

1917 for the year that model was adopted and first produced

"Olive Drab Cotton Service Coat" is what the QTMC labeled it in the specifications.

If you want to be more specific you can add: Specification No.1264 to the breeches title. I don't have the specification number for the 1917 olive drab cotton service coat.

Between 1876, beginning with Specification No. 1 through to whenever the QTMC adopted a new system every new article, be it a tent peg, undershirt, shoe or pair of breeches, a new specification number was assigned to every new article the army adopted, or to any existing pattern whose design was officially modified in some way or if one of the materials used to fabricate that particular article or garment was officially changed.

The new specifications for the article or garment were then sent out to every manufacturer with contract to produce that article or garment informing them that the previous specification had been canceled. The new specification went on to describe in detail how, and with what materials, the new article or garment was to be made.

Attached is an example of a typical specifications page. It's the first page of the specifications for Specification No. 1264 - Amended, adopted on August 6, 1917 for Olive Drab Cotton Service Breeches.

post-5143-0-80126200-1520167483_thumb.jpg

2 Carolina Wildcats

CPL Robert W. Sloop age 24, a resident of Rowan County, NC inducted at Salisbury, NC Septt 18, 1917, Company C 321st Infantry to discharge. Sloop was promoted to Private 1st Class June 14, 1918, and Corporal Oct 15, 1918.

Participated the Meusee-Argonne Campaign, in assault on November 11, 1918 Le Grande Cognon Woods “In the zone of action of the 161st Infantry Brigade, the 321st Infantry attacked at 6 a. m. with the 3d and 1st Battalions, from right to left. The 3d Battalion passed through the southern part of Grimaucourt about 7:30 a. m., and advanced to a position about 1 kilometer east of the town. [20]

The 1st Battalion, 321st Infantry, attacked at 6 a. m. and was stopped for a short time near Le Grand Cognon wood. After pushing into Le Petit Cognon wood about 200 meters, the right assault company withdrew to permit an artillery barrage to clean out the wood. When the barrage lifted, the company passed through the wood and the open space between it and Le Grand Cognon wood to the west, and at 11 a. m. had placed its forward elements in front of the heavy wire before the main defense of Hautecourt. At the same time the left assault company, which had been advancing steadily, got its scouts through the enemy wire. As a gap existed between the two assault companies, one company was pushed forward from the support to hold the center of the line. [9, 20]”

Cpl. Sloop was discharged June 28, 1919.

PFC Rual Preston Jones age 23, a resident of Pitt County inducted at Snow Hill, NC May 27, 1918. Pvt 156th Depot Brigade to June 1918, transferred to Company C 321st Infantry to discharge.

Participated the Meusee-Argonne Campaign, in assault on November 11, 1918 Le Grande Cognon Woods “In the zone of action of the 161st Infantry Brigade, the 321st Infantry attacked at 6 a. m. with the 3d and 1st Battalions, from right to left. The 3d Battalion passed through the southern part of Grimaucourt about 7:30 a. m., and advanced to a position about 1 kilometer east of the town. [20]

The 1st Battalion, 321st Infantry, attacked at 6 a. m. and was stopped for a short time near Le Grand Cognon wood. After pushing into Le Petit Cognon wood about 200 meters, the right assault company withdrew to permit an artillery barrage to clean out the wood. When the barrage lifted, the company passed through the wood and the open space between it and Le Grand Cognon wood to the west, and at 11 a. m. had placed its forward elements in front of the heavy wire before the main defense of Hautecourt. At the same time the left assault company, which had been advancing steadily, got its scouts through the enemy wire. As a gap existed between the two assault companies, one company was pushed forward from the support to hold the center of the line. [9, 20]”

Jones was promoted to Private 1st Class May 1, 1919, and was discharged June 27, 1919.

Separately I would call it them ... 1917 Olive Drab Cotton Service Coat & 1917 Olive Drab Cotton Service Breeches

Together would be known as ... 1917 Olive Drab Cotton Service Dress

1917 for the year that model was adopted and first produced

"Olive Drab Cotton Service Coat" is what the QTMC labeled it in the specifications.

If you want to be more specific you can add: Specification No.1264 to the breeches title. I don't have the specification number for the 1917 olive drab cotton service coat.

Between 1876, beginning with Specification No. 1 through to whenever the QTMC adopted a new system every new article, be it a tent peg, undershirt, shoe or pair of breeches, a new specification number was assigned to every new article the army adopted, or to any existing pattern whose design was officially modified in some way or if one of the materials used to fabricate that particular article or garment was officially changed.

The new specifications for the article or garment were then sent out to every manufacturer with contract to produce that article or garment informing them that the previous specification had been canceled. The new specification went on to describe in detail how, and with what materials, the new article or garment was to be made.

Attached is an example of a typical specifications page. It's the first page of the specifications for Specification No. 1264 - Amended, adopted on August 6, 1917 for Olive Drab Cotton Service Breeches.

Thank you Brian, AGAIN... Guess the book published was incorrect as Model 12, should be 17. Thanks

FRENCH CONTRACT PATTERN CAP SALUTE PFC JONES .......Went searching for a grave this AM, 1 of the "Carolina Boys" Wildcat Division, Co. C 321st, 81st Division.????

PFC Rual Preston Jones age 23, a resident of Pitt County inducted at Snow Hill, NC May 27, 1918. Pvt 156th Depot Brigade to June 1918, transferred to Company C 321st Infantry to discharge. Participated the Meusee-Argonne Campaign, in assault on November 11, 1918 Le Grande Cognon Woods In the zone of action of the 161st Infantry Brigade, the 321st Infantry attacked at 6 a. m. with the 3d and 1st Battalions, from right to left. The 3d Battalion passed through the southern part of Grimaucourt about 7:30 a. m., and advanced to a position about 1 kilometer east of the town. [20]

The 1st Battalion, 321st Infantry, attacked at 6 a. m. and was stopped for a short time near Le Grand Cognon wood. After pushing into Le Petit Cognon wood about 200 meters, the right assault company withdrew to permit an artillery barrage to clean out the wood. When the barrage lifted, the company passed through the wood and the open space between it and Le Grand Cognon wood to the west, and at 11 a. m. had placed its forward elements in front of the heavy wire before the main defense of Hautecourt. At the same time the left assault company, which had been advancing steadily, got its scouts through the enemy wire. As a gap existed between the two assault companies, one company was pushed forward from the support to hold the center of the line. [9, 20]

Jones was promoted to Private 1st Class May 1, 1919, and was discharged June 27, 1919.

post-153086-0-44606800-1520180674.jpg

Digging a little further, I found more of the white stenciled number, now a total of being stamped 8 times all together. There are stamped in each pocket, but showing the stamp under seam would indicate the marking made prior to manufacture.

post-153086-0-52817000-1520182936.jpg

world war I nerd

Since there seems to be a plethora of 81st Division related information here, I thought I would add the following ...

On 28 September 1918 the Adjutant General, G.H.Q., A.E.F. wrote to Commanding General, 81st Division requesting that authority be furnished, if any, for wearing the “wildcat” in cloth on both the left sleeve and the overseas cap.

In reply on 4 October 1918, Commanding General, 81st Division, Major General Charles J. Bailey to the Commander in Chief, A.E.F., wrote:

1. “There is no official sanction for wearing the above mentioned emblem.
  2. The following is submitted with the request that it receive carefully consideration before definite action is taken.
  3. In making an inspection of the various fronts last winter, I observed that several British Divisions wore a distinctive emblem on the shoulder, or middle of the back, and that all the divisions I saw, British and French, had some distinctive silhouette on trucks, wagons and certain equipment. I was informed by the British that the emblem worn by the men did much to develop Divisional esprit; that the men were proud of it and it was particularly valuable in an active operation in identifying and controlling the smaller units.
  4. On returning to the States, I found that the War Department had authorized the Divisions to adapt distinctive names and also an insignia for identifying its trains, etc. As this Division was and is, about 95% Southern in its personnel, and was organized at Camp Jackson, S.C. the name adopted was the “Stonewall” Division after General Stonewall Jackson. Camp Jackson is situated on Wildcat Creek and a Wildcat was adopted as the insignia of the Division, and all transportation, boxes, field desks etc., were so marked and its number, 81, omitted.
  5. Placing a small silhouette on the left shoulder of officers and men and on the overseas cap of officers, has resulted as follows:
  1. It has created a comradeship in the personnel by keeping in evidence the sections whence it came – all the Southern States around the South Carolina. These men came mostly from the mountains and other agricultural and sparsely settled communities. They are unused to large crowds; are shy with strangers and were very slow in “getting together”. A common interest, social in a way, one that would promote good fellowship, aside from military team work, was developed at once and the insignia brings individuals together who would not otherwise know or care for one another
  2. Much more important, the insignia has developed a divisional esprit which is most satisfactory. I do not, and cannot claim that this division is superior to the next one but I claim that any measure I can take will lead the personnel to think their own the best, makes for efficiency and progress. The pride the men take in the insignia is shown in their conduct, their efficiency and their evident belief that they are as good as any, and perhaps a little better. I cannot say that they are better than the other divisions, now at the front, or showing themselves to be, but it is certain that the esprit by the measure now in question has not only bettered the individual, but has made the task of training, developing the fighting spirit, and teamwork, much easier than was thought possible with the men whose former environment had not only developed independence of thought and action, but have also rendered them impatient of restraint and slow to give obedience.
  3. An insignia of some nature would seem of considerable advantage in handling small units in the present methods of advance in open warfare.
  1. Beyond the foregoing, the only reason I would advance for adopting the insignia is that it seemed to be carrying out the spirit of the instructions permitting distinctive working of organizations rather than numbers heretofore displayed on personnel and material.
  2. I have been confirmed in the correctness of my opinion by the fact that many American, French and British officers have volunteered to me their approval of the use of the insignia, and none have criticized it.”

Shoulder Sleeve Insignia of the American Expeditionary Forces 1918-1919, H. Ross Ford, 2012, pp. 134-135

Two weeks later, on October 18, 1918, the “Wildcat” insignia of the 81st Division, in seven colors, was officially approved by G.H.Q., A.E.F.

The seven colors were as follows:

Black: Division HQ & HQ Troop, 306th HQ Train, Military Police, 306th Engineer Regiment & 316th MG Battalion

Red: 156th Artillery Brigade, 306th Ammunition Train & 306th Trench Mortar Battery

White: 161st Infantry Brigade

Sky Blue or Blue: 162nd Infantry Brigade

Orange: 306th Field Signals Battalion

Green: 306th Sanitary Train

Buff or Yellow: 306th Supply Train

The maroon insignia on the bottom, right was never adopted & is said to represent “medical”.

The red, blue, orange & maroon insignia are courtesy of Griffin Militaria.com

post-5143-0-79585700-1520184372_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

I thought it was interesting that according to the above, at the time the 81st Division sailed for France in August of 1918, all officers wore the Wildcat emblem on their overseas caps.

This example belonged to Lt. William B. Umstead, 317th MG Battalion who later became the 63rd Governor of North Carolina.

post-5143-0-66439700-1520185328_thumb.jpg

Great detective work! Wonderful group too.

Thank you David D, yes always great to get the story back to where it belongs forever, fitting being the Centennial..

I thought it was interesting that according to the above, at the time the 81st Division sailed for France in August of 1918, all officers wore the Wildcat emblem on their overseas caps.

This example belonged to Lt. William B. Umstead, 317th MG Battalion who later became the 63rd Governor of North Carolina.

Very good info Brian, love the Umstead cover. very familiar with the governor. Sweet.

• 5 weeks later...

Well, since MG Charles Bailey is mentioned here, it is proper that I show off his uniforms in my collection. These blues all have 1913 dates when he made BG. He was promoted to MG, Nat'l Army during the war, reverted to BG later and retired as MG. The photo shows his evening dress, dress blue and full dress (the chapeau is not his).

G

002 (2).JPG

Well, since MG Charles Bailey is mentioned here, it is proper that I show off his uniforms in my collection. These blues all have 1913 dates when he made BG. He was promoted to MG, Nat'l Army during the war, reverted to BG later and retired as MG. The photo shows his evening dress, dress blue and full dress (the chapeau is not his).

G

Very nice group, thanks for the share.