USAF Communications Command Maj Gen's Shirt

locobuster

Picked this up a couple of weeks ago from a member of the forum and haven't had a camera handy to photograph it until now.

This is an 86-vintage OG-507 Fatigue shirt for a Maj Gen in the Air Force Communications Command. The pockets have been sewn down. Sadly, it doesn't look as though it ever had a nametape sewn on it, so there's no way of knowing without a shadow of a doubt whose it was. It's a size 14 and a half x33.

The list of potential men it could've been issued to is pretty brief. After doing a little research only two men held that rank in that Command around the time it was manufactured, Maj Gen John T. Stihl, who took command in 1986, and Maj (later Lt) Gen James S. Cassity, Jr., who took over command in 1988.

post-3287-1226964186.jpg

And the subdued AFCC patch...

post-3287-1226964386.jpg

Normally I don't purchase very many uniforms or clothing items, but the price was right, so I thought wth and went for it....

Cheers! thumbsup.gif

Syd

Very odd how the Stars are sewn on incorrectly. Any laundry marks inside the shirt?

I agree the stars are not sewn in the proper location. I'd question the authenticity of this piece. JMHO. think.gif

• 4 months later...
shrapneldude

I got the chance to examine this in person, and from my experience, it's 100% legit.

There are NO regulations as to the proper wear of the general stars on this style of uniform (slanted / straight back) and I've seen them both ways on Army and USAF uniforms of this type. All the stitching is exactly the same, and there are no "ghosts" where EM insignia or anything else was removed to accomodate the stars. It's a great piece in my opinion!

twothumbup.giftwothumbup.giftwothumbup.gif

• 9 months later...

I worked for both Gen Stihl and Gen Cassity at Scott AFB during this time and would like to help identify the wearer. I don't know what size 14 really means though. I wouldn't mind discussing this on the phone if you like. I could call you on Wed at a time that's good for you. E-mail me at [email protected] and we can exchange phone numbers if that's OK with you. Just let me know what's best for you.

Larry Moss

I don't see how that could be Gen Cassity. It definitely sounds more like Gen Stihl's size.

And thanks for pointing out the size to me, I must have been brain dead when I asked the question.