ww2guymandude

WWII-Postwar chaplains uniform

Got this today from a trade with someone else. From first glance it looked like a very salty unnamed PTO chaplains uniform, however after looking through the pockets... BINGO! I found a card with the veteran’s rank, name, and ASN! After doing some quick research on google, I found that “Oliver G. Grotefend” was one of the chaplains on Guadalcanal. Never thought I would find an ID to a uniform in a pocket like that. Noticed a good amount of insignia missing as well, hoping to eventually restore this uniform!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

One of the most sacred (pun intended) of uniforms. I've got 5 Chaplains uniforms proudly displayed(in humble fashion) in my war room. Congrats on this great find!

"There is no such thing as an expert, only students with different levels of education."
donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Great find! These chaplains uniforms aren't too common! Thanks for sharing!

Hunt

I am an amateur collector of US military items of the 20th century.

Looking for items related to:

-The Aleutian Island Campaign of WW2, Alaskan Theater, Alaska Defense Command, and more specifically the Battle of Attu

-Items related to the 50th Combat Engineer Regiment/Battalion

-Items related to Wheelus Air Force Base Libya, particularly from 1957-1960

-WW2 items belonging to service members from Northern Virginia

-WW2 Uniforms (all branches and services)

-Cheap/Throwaway WW2 named uniforms

-Smaller WW2 Groupings

-7th Infantry Division Items

-WW2 Photos and Letters (all branches, theaters, services, etc)

^^ PM ME!!

Instagram: @surplus_central https://instagram.com/surplus_central/

eBay: http://www.ebay.com/usr/giovachm

Now that is a GREAT uniform! Salty or not, it is right as rain and a rare one at that. Good pick up. I would love to have it in my collection and am sure it will have an honored place in yours.

Always looking for 325th G.I.R. and WWII USMC items!
donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif
donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Thank you all for the nice comments! Does anyone know if there’s a way to restore the color on the ribbons? There’s some brown staining or something on the plastic coating of them.

-Evan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you all for the nice comments! Does anyone know if there’s a way to restore the color on the ribbons? There’s some brown staining or something on the plastic coating of them.

-Evan

Nice nice nice! If the ribbons are the 'lacquer' coated type (kind of waxy) I don't know of a way unless you want to replace them. If they're standard ribbons, I have cleaned them in the past by disassembling them and soaking the fabric in woolite/water.

Rob

Exhausting & Dirty Work

Interested in buying identified or re-searchable Korean War uniforms, groupings, medals and more.

Sweet looking uniform. He must have been quite the Chaplain to receive not one but TWO Bronze Stars.

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gif

911flag.jpg

ASMIC #1098

​Very cool. I don't have access to our my items at the moment, but here is a pic.

Here is a pic from Chaplains to Army Air Units: 1917-1946 by Jorgensen, page 219.

attachicon.gifOliver G.jpg

That is so awesome Bob!

"There is no such thing as an expert, only students with different levels of education."
donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Wow that’s awesome! Thank you for posting that pic of him!

-Evan