WWII-Postwar chaplains uniform

ww2guymandude

ww2guymandude

Got this today from a trade with someone else. From first glance it looked like a very salty unnamed PTO chaplains uniform, however after looking through the pockets... BINGO! I found a card with the veteran’s rank, name, and ASN! After doing some quick research on google, I found that “Oliver G. Grotefend” was one of the chaplains on Guadalcanal. Never thought I would find an ID to a uniform in a pocket like that. Noticed a good amount of insignia missing as well, hoping to eventually restore this uniform!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

One of the most sacred (pun intended) of uniforms. I've got 5 Chaplains uniforms proudly displayed(in humble fashion) in my war room. Congrats on this great find!

Brian Dentino

Now that is a GREAT uniform! Salty or not, it is right as rain and a rare one at that. Good pick up. I would love to have it in my collection and am sure it will have an honored place in yours.

ww2guymandude

Thank you all for the nice comments! Does anyone know if there’s a way to restore the color on the ribbons? There’s some brown staining or something on the plastic coating of them.

-Evan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Captainofthe7th

Thank you all for the nice comments! Does anyone know if there’s a way to restore the color on the ribbons? There’s some brown staining or something on the plastic coating of them.

-Evan

Nice nice nice! If the ribbons are the 'lacquer' coated type (kind of waxy) I don't know of a way unless you want to replace them. If they're standard ribbons, I have cleaned them in the past by disassembling them and soaking the fabric in woolite/water.

Rob

​Very cool. I don't have access to our my items at the moment, but here is a pic.

Here is a pic from Chaplains to Army Air Units: 1917-1946 by Jorgensen, page 219.

post-1429-0-92993100-1520370810.jpg

​Very cool. I don't have access to our my items at the moment, but here is a pic.

Here is a pic from Chaplains to Army Air Units: 1917-1946 by Jorgensen, page 219.

attachicon.gifOliver G.jpg

That is so awesome Bob!

ww2guymandude

Wow that’s awesome! Thank you for posting that pic of him!

-Evan

• 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Hello! I don't know if anyone has been here recently, but Oliver George Grotefend is my (paternal) Grandfather. After he got out of the Army (he eventually retired full bird Colonel), he became a Lutheran minister in Ohio. His second son, David J., married my mother Susan K. and they had me. He used to tell me stories about the war when I pestered him enough. He was giving a service on Okinawa when he had the Bible shot out of his hands (we still have it). He also served in Korea and we have an excellent portrait (oils on canvas) that was done by his British counterpart (an English chaplain that alternated services with him in a joint chapel).