Carpet beetles

thecandyman0838

thecandyman0838

Today I noticed maybe 15 or so of what I think are dead/molted carpet beetle larvae underneath my bed.

post-146822-15196680026074.jpg

I have never seen an adult carpet beetle in my room or a live larvae, just the occasional moth that I kill pretty quick.(Its a pretty small room). I am in the process of vacuming the entire room. My question is, what else should I do? Should I just check the spots where I seen them daily, or is more precaution neccesary? I haven't noticed any damage to any of my uniforms, most of which are hbt, or anything else that I think a bug would do. Should I freeze anything I can for 24 hours or just keep an eye out? Thank you for reading.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

personally I'd put them in plastic containers and Moth ball them, they don't smell good but it will protect the uniforms and you can air them out after the Insects are gone. I use cedar blocks too in the closets. But I have never had them before. I never bring in a wool uniform before its looked over well...I also have used the freezer method. I'm sure others will have ideas too. Good luck!

I had an infestation of them. They are particularly drawn to pet dander. We had a cat!

I found the little buggers everywhere. One stage is winged and they will go places you never thought of. I had a real problem with them getting into the bindings of my books. They like the glue as well as the dark secluded places.

Stuff put away in cabinets was not safe. They gnawed on a few shoulder patches out on a shelf. Anything you want to save should be sealed in some way.

thecandyman0838

Any tips on how to get rid of them? My dad says I should keep checking the same spots and keep vaccuming over the next couple days

Not sure there is a way to get rid of them for good. They appear every year, if not more often. I am in a new house and see the winged beetles on a regular basis. They have shown up in my kitchen, bathrooms, and window sills. I suspect they are elsewhere but the other rooms are carpeted and they are not so obvious.

---M.

thecandyman0838

Not sure there is a way to get rid of them for good.  They appear every year, if not more often.  I am in a new house and see the winged beetles on a regular basis.  They have shown up in my kitchen, bathrooms, and window sills.  I suspect they are elsewhere but the other rooms are carpeted and they are not so obvious.

---M.

The wierd thing is I have never seen anything other than the larvae dead or skin. I remember I seen some larvae maybe a year ago, but I brushed it off to something a spider killed. It wasn't until I started reading the preservation forum that I took notice. I also have noticed no damage to any of my items, maybe because I dont have a whole lot of wool?

Thank you for the information.

thecandyman0838

This is the stage that flies, like a ladybug...

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif CB-1.jpg

Looks alot like a stink bug, but I have never seen a stink bug or anything like that in my room. Im going to do daily checks over the next couple of weeks and clean way more often.

thecandyman0838

personally I'd put them in plastic containers and Moth ball them, they don't smell good but it will protect the uniforms and you can  air them out after the Insects are gone. I use cedar blocks too in the closets. But I have never had them before. I never bring in a wool uniform before its looked over well...I also have used the freezer method. I'm sure others will have ideas too. Good luck!

Thank you for the information