116th IR, 29th ID - Luftwaffe Feld Division Bring Back

IKEsaysGO44

This beautiful Luftwaffe Feld Division Camouflage Jacket was a souvenir of Staff Sergeant Ralph Coffman (DSC Recipient) of Co. L, 3rd Battalion, 116th Infantry Regiment, 29th Infantry Division.

Staff Sergeant Coffman landed on Easy Green Sector of Omaha Beach at 0720 (H+50) on June 6, 1944. Staff Sergeant Coffman was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross for leading a small force of men while assaulting, and destroying, several machine gun positions (likely near WN65, WN 66, or WN 67) near the D-3 draw towards St Laurent (GO# 1944-29).

Coffman was wounded on June 16, 1944, and would remain with Co. L until war's end.

Ralph went on to be the Post Master in Fishersville, Virginia where he passed in 2011 at the age of 94. This wonderful jacket was recently purchased directly from the family after it was discovered in a cedar chest in his home.

I am extremely happy to share this with you!

I hope you enjoy. Thanks for stopping by. Please swing by www.facebook.com/EuropeanAdvance for more 29th items!

Andy

post-141357-0-48231700-1519605193_thumb.jpg

Great jacket! The 29th is stationed at Fort Belvoir which is really close to where I live! Thanks for sharing!

Hunt

Yes the current 29th Division HQ is at Ft. Belvoir, but Coffman's unit (the 116th Infantry Rgt.) is still based in the Shenandoah Valley.

That's real real nice, if this was acquired in Normandy it could also of been worn by either a Fallschrimjaeger or a Luftwaffe Flak crewman, I say this as the only field division in Normandy was the 16th Feld Division, but they were well to the east fighting against the English and Canadians, was essentially destroyed in it's first battle near Caen July.

IKEsaysGO44

Thanks so much for the comments.

Patches - I really appreciate the information. It has been a bit of a mystery as to when and where it was picked up; only speculation at this point.

Thanks again.

Andy

Thanks so much for the comments.

Patches - I really appreciate the information. It has been a bit of a mystery as to when and where it was picked up; only speculation at this point.

Thanks again.

Andy

Ah so not sure it was acquired in Der Normandie then, no worries, could of been found by him anywhere from Normandy to the Ruhr Pocket.