3rd Infantry Division Helmet Cover

muddyboots

Found this as I was driving home. I was on top of a pile of trash. Unfortunately there was nothing else. It has a marking DLA 100-91-C-4103 and made by Volunteer Blind Industry. It is very well used. I wish I had a helmet to mount it on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

post-24366-0-11461300-1519593871_thumb.jpeg

It looks like a PASGT helmet cover that was used in the early part of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. The pattern that it has is a "three tone" desert pattern aka DCU.

It looks like a PASGT helmet cover that was used in the early part of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. The pattern that it has is a "three tone" desert pattern aka DCU.

Thanks and I assume it was made in 1991.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

One man's trash is another man's treasure. Very nice. The contract is from 1991, but contracts can last for a long time. This one has no foliage slits which I believe were deleted to speed up production of desert camo helmet covers for the invasion of Iraq.

One man's trash is another man's treasure. Very nice. The contract is from 1991, but contracts can last for a long time. This one has no foliage slits which I believe were deleted to speed up production of desert camo helmet covers for the invasion of Iraq.

Thanks and I have been wondering on what type of helmet to get so I can mount it. It says Medium/ Large.

Thanks and I have been wondering on what type of helmet to get so I can mount it. It says Medium/ Large.

I would go for a 1990s dated PASGT kevlar helmet in size large. In addition I would pick up a elastic helmet band with the glow in the dark "cat eyes" that go on the back.

Reference photo

post-172448-0-17186800-1519602616.jpg

Yup that's a 3rd ID PASGT helmet cover...I had one on my kevlar in 2003 except mine was a different material, not the rip-stop one you have in the picture. They let us keep those covers when we got back home from deployment in the summer of '03.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

What would be ideal is if you had access to both a large and a medium so you could test it and see witch one lines up with creases, tears, lines, etc in the cover at the rim.

What would be ideal is if you had access to both a large and a medium so you could test it and see witch one lines up with creases, tears, lines, etc in the cover at the rim.

There is a shop in this area that sometimes has helmets for sale and the owner will let me test to see what works best.

I have a PASGT helmet in storage that I don't really want. Not sure about the size or date. I could dig it out and look if you think you'd be interested in it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I have a PASGT helmet in storage that I don't really want. Not sure about the size or date. I could dig it out and look if you think you'd be interested in it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Im going to check the proper size helmet first before I pick one up. I will contact you after I find out .

• 4 months later...
Heptonic48

Nice find man.It's a shame someone would throw that out, but it's awesome that you found it before it was trashed.Always like seeing 3rd ID stuff like this.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

muddyboots

Nice find man.It's a shame someone would throw that out, but it's awesome that you found it before it was trashed.Always like seeing 3rd ID stuff like this.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

Thanks

• 1 year later...
WWIIman1942

Really nice find! Its a shame that someone would throw away something like that. Those unit insignia covers will be worth something someday. Happy to say I own one. Using for an OIF I 3rd ID impression I'm working on.