D-ring Pack Set With Early USMC Shovel Cover

Jake the Collector

Jake the Collector

I went to my first SoS this weekend and made a purchase that exceeded my expectations: a WWII USMC D-ring pack set with an early USMC shovel cover. The set is in great condition, with all parts present. The haversack has that orange trim characteristic of early depot-made gear, and the knapsack still has a faint DQP stamp on the inside of the flap. The shovel cover appears to be the pre-WWII type with the thin webbing tape; it is also unit-marked on the back. All-in-all I'm ecstatic with my find.

I also purchased a nice USMC map case and a USMC-marked pistol belt grouping id'd to a member of a VMF squadron who served in the Pacific, which I will soon post in my display topic here: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/253071-a-young-collectors-wwii-usmc-display/page-5

post-159182-0-65933100-1519576007_thumb.jpg

Jake the Collector

Great pick up. How was the SOS on Marine gear? Wish I could have made it.

Thanks. Since this was my first year I can't compare it to previous shows, but I thought there was a pretty decent selection of WWII 782 gear overall. Not a ton by any means, but I still saw a good number of canteen covers, a lot of M1941 packs (upper and lower), some cartridge belts, and some carbine pouches, among other odds-and-ends. I spotted a virtually mint condition RM Co pistol belt manufactured in 1939 with the USMC stamp on the outside, but by then I was far too broke to afford it.

PeleliuMarine1944

Whoah! Great find! Always wanted to go to SOS, and I think this definitely gave me some more inspiration! Beautiful pack! Congrats!

Nice pack! I remember looking at that one and deciding to leave it for someone else. It was very fairly priced.

Is the hanger on the shovel cover a replacement? I think I remember it being okay but the material looks very thin in the photos.

The SOS was definitely decent for USMC stuff this year. It seems like USMC field gear is trading hands a little slower than usual lately.

Cheers,

-Steve

Schnicklfritz

Nice pack! I remember looking at that one and deciding to leave it for someone else. It was very fairly priced.

Is the hanger on the shovel cover a replacement? I think I remember it being okay but the material looks very thin in the photos.

The SOS was definitely decent for USMC stuff this year. It seems like USMC field gear is trading hands a little slower than usual lately.

Cheers,

-Steve

Let some things touch my hands... they'll go quick for sure!

Jake the Collector

Cheers,

-Steve

Hi Steve,

Here are some better photos of the shovel cover. The hook looks good to me, just sewn a little crooked.

post-159182-0-86502600-1520110312_thumb.jpg

Good to go! Not uncommon for them to be crooked, they were not made with much precision. Some of the DQP shovel covers are pretty poorly formed.

-Steve