Korean War Winter Helmet Camo

mavrick56

post-163302-0-25173600-1519565118.jpgpost-163302-0-23488700-1519565135.jpgI recently picked up this Korean War era helmet with winter camo. The paint has begun flaking as it is prone to do. I was wondering if a light coat of matte finish sealer would hurt the value. I'd like to preserve as much of the camo as I can.

Thanks. Never had this problem with any other helmets. I normally don't even clean helmets I get, but I don't want to lose all the whitewash. I'll just make sure it doesn't get handled.

Thanks again for your input.

• 3 years later...
Any_War_Militaria
On 2/25/2018 at 11:03 AM, mavrick56 said:

Thanks. Never had this problem with any other helmets. I normally don't even clean helmets I get, but I don't want to lose all the whitewash. I'll just make sure it doesn't get handled.

Thanks again for your input.

I've read about and seen the use of certain waxes being applied to relic helmets to seal and protect original paint and exposed metal so maybe it could be applied to this helmet as well.

hope that helps

Unfortunately, I would have to say that is poor advice. I mean know criticism here but we are all tempted to something, anything, to feel we are somehow helping our items to be better. Nothing has really been proven to do that and most have actually been proven to do long term damage despite the initial appearance of improvement. Treated helmets always look like treated helmets IMO. And, yes, that devalues them.

JMO,

Dave