WW2 Machete question

ww2marine

This is a machete I got from my grandfather who was a WW2 Navy Seabee. I had a guy take a look at this about ten years ago and he told me there is no way this was from WW2. Pre-war my grandfather was a city boy from the south side of Chicago. After the war he married my grandmother and moved to the sticks of New Mexico. Can't imagine why he would have this if not for the war. Is this WW2?

post-5600-0-59755900-1519487678_thumb.jpg

Machete is WWII era, but the scabbard is confusing. Either it has been cut down or what as it does not conform to the blade size. Without seeing the reverse, it is hard to tell period. Jack

Military purchase model 128's are usually dated 1941. The #128 became the US M-1939 22" blade machete, US ARMY issue. The #128 was a very popular model and could have been obtained in any number of locations. Unless your Grandfather related to you where/when he obtained this piece there are numerous possibilities.

Just curious as to what markings are on scabbard, front & rear. Looks commercial, ie LL Bean or some other supplier. I have a model 127, & 128, both w/ leather washer handles. The 127 has USED (US Engineer Dept) stamped on blade, the 128 is not military marked, always assumed it was commercial. Tankerman collects machetes, maybe Al will chime in. SKIP

Jack, the Machete fits in there rather well, however there are no markings in it. I have no examples to compare it to. In the late 90's I asked my grandfather if I could have his WW2 sword ( talking about his Japanese sword) He walked out to the garage and gave me this machete.

post-5600-0-18265800-1519494709_thumb.jpg

No markings on the scabbard I can find. Maybe private purchase? I have no idea where he got this, but he was at Eniwetok and Okinawa. Don't know why he would pick this up after the war. I appreciate the info guys