Any idea what this chute was for?

Phfly1010

WWII Parachutist

This is indeed a pilot chute used to extract the main parachute on ripcord activated systems. This model was originally a Navy design adopted under the joint Army-Navy program in 1942. At that point it was employed in Army systems as well. It cut production costs in half, but the springs had a nasty habit of shifting parallel to each other - the Army switched back to their old design in late 1944.

Great info. I have USAAF WW2 ETO (a-4 flight suit, a-14 mask and a-11 leather helmet) and PTO (an-15 helmet, a-14 mask and an31 suit) pilot set ups but nothing related to a chute for either. Would this be appropriate for either theater since I cannot afford an full chute given you say this type of first-stage pilot chute was discarded Inn 1944?

WWII Parachutist

This would be absolutely appropriate that. Although production reverted back to the older pattern, these continued in use for some time. for your display keep in mind that that pilot chute is only 30 inches in diameter though.

Ok, thanks for the solid info. The feedback I received from this and other postings is why I just donated to this forum for the first time.

I'm glad I saw this thread - I have a very similar parachute I couldn't identify. Mine is camouflaged, dated 1943.

post-265-0-04190400-1520291585_thumb.jpgpost-265-0-57907100-1520291608_thumb.jpgpost-265-0-93559300-1520291630_thumb.jpg

It's stamped DWG. NO. 69310-3. So just to be clear, this would be used in an aircrewman's bailout chute?

Glad you saw it. This is why we can learn so much from each other using this forum, and why I donated to keep it going. My understanding is that this would pop out first when the pilot pulled the rip cord, then the wind catching this chute would pull the main chute out.

5thwingmarty

The pilot chute I have is actually labeled as a being a pilot chute. I have it mounted in a display case so I can't easily spread it out to show the entire word.

post-96854-0-17216700-1520346808_thumb.jpg

WWII Parachutist

It's stamped DWG. NO. 69310-3. So just to be clear, this would be used in an aircrewman's bailout chute?

Notice the part number on yours has the "-3" at the end. That indicates the camouflage print pattern. This specific model was used on the T-5 camouflage reserve parachutes. The 24' diameter reserves all used pilot chutes to aid in rapid deployment. So not an aircrewman bailout chute, but a paratrooper reserve.

WWII Parachutist

The pilot chute I have is actually labeled as a being a pilot chute. I have it mounted in a display case so I can't easily spread it out to show the entire word.

Nice pilot chute! Your #046208 was the original pattern used from the 1930's until standardization of the navy model like the previous ones. Yours should have a small 4" vent in the apex - when it was re-adopted under a separate part number the vent hole was dropped from the pattern.

5thwingmarty

Mine does have the vent opening at the apex. This is part of a grouping from a 15th AF gunner whose crew had to use parachutes to slow their plane when they landed because they had no brakes. He kept his pilot chute as a souvenir because the parachute could not be used again after the landing.

• 3 weeks later...

Notice the part number on yours has the "-3" at the end. That indicates the camouflage print pattern. This specific model was used on the T-5 camouflage reserve parachutes. The 24' diameter reserves all used pilot chutes to aid in rapid deployment. So not an aircrewman bailout chute, but a paratrooper reserve.

Sorry - I just saw your response. I appreciate the information!