Ammo belt, what do I have

prestoncohunter

prestoncohunter

I found this at my father in laws a while back but what doesn't make sense to me is the date of 1918 and he and his brothers all served in WW2. So what do I have? Can find no sign of US anywhere. While I have no plans on selling is there any value here?

post-167837-0-04032900-1519347609.jpg

post-167837-0-67112200-1519347619.jpg

It's a WW1 rifleman's ammo belt. Each pocket holds two, five round stripper clips of 30-06 for the Springfield or M1917 rifle. These were used during WW2, certainly early in the war. Maybe $60 in this condition. Belts of this period didn't have a US surcharge as they did during WW2, but it is a USGI belt.

prestoncohunter

Thank you, we know my father in laws oldest brother went in the Army in 41 so it may have been his though am surprised it's so clean. Would no US stamping be normal?

Not uncommon to see WW1 belts used in WW2 or early WW2.

I have a 34th trunk group to an enlisted man who was in the 34th pre war national guard.He was in an artillery battalion.He made it to north Africa but became ill and returned to state side duty after release from hospital.

In his trunk is his webb gear.Early cartridge belt,mussette bag,and even his first aid kit and pouch.The bandage is even a 1916 tin type Bauer and Black

The bandage is even a 1916 tin type Bauer and Black

I've always wondered about that but never seen proof. Glad to hear someone's seen a WW1 tin being used during WW2. Any chance that since he was NG that would be the reasoning for the 25 year old bandage kit?

Looks like that Belt is made of salvaged components; Mills and Russell were separate web contractors, but the parts were interchangeable.

Nice Belt!

prestoncohunter

Thanks Flage Guy, I wondered about that wasn't sure if Mills was the design and Russell the contractor or what. But since parts were interchangeable it makes sense, would love to know the story behind how it ended up made that way.

That's the thing with all the stuff I have found at my in-laws is what the story behind the dings, bangs and in this case parts was. Of course so far on my wife's Dad side of the family we have discovered all 4 brothers served in WW2, 2 in the Navy (one on CVE-25, the other a SeaBee) and 2 in the Army one of those being in the ETO for sure the other no idea. On my wife's Mom side 3 served, one we have a picture of in Germany with a 8 Corp patch and MP disc, one was Navy and one Merchant Marine (though he went in post war - 1946) and one a Army Medic in the Pacific. So we have found a mis-mash of stuff and don't really know which uncle it came from.

• 1 year later...