DUGUPS Battle of the Bulge - EasyRed1944

EasyRed1944

Another trip that started in Bütgenbach and ended in the eiffel.

Duty first!

EiffelMEI001.jpg

EiffelMEI002.jpg

EiffelMEI008.jpg

EiffelMEI007.jpg

Eiffel time... We tried a forest where a mortar section of the 99th inf was situated and here is the result.

Collar disc, mortar squad

EiffelMEI014.jpg

60mm Mortar grenades discoved in a big foxhole...we reported them!

EiffelMEI017.jpg

EiffelMEI018.jpg

Where is the 1st ID monument that you took pictures of, I was at henri-Chappele(SP?) in 2006 and I am pretty sure we stopped at this monument since it looks strangely familiar. my other computer crashed with my pictures on it so I will have to look for the CD.

Respectfully,

PFC Kitt

EasyRed1944
Its possible, I always thought of it as a Vietnam era word

Respectfully,

PFC Kitt

Yes that could be although you can't tell me , out of many! Americans in world war 2, not a single one used the F word.

Pretty good haul Robin, some great stuff. LOL, i love the tree :P Of course they used that word, plenty of wwii vets have admitted to letting an F bomb fly, they were soldiers after all. Totally granted, it wasn't used anywhere even near as much as band of brothers and private ryan would have you believe

Pretty good haul Robin, some great stuff. LOL, i love the tree :P Of course they used that word, plenty of wwii vets have admitted to letting an F bomb fly, they were soldiers after all. Totally granted, it wasn't used anywhere even near as much as band of brothers and private ryan would have you believe

Dead on - that was what I was trying to say but the words were not coming!

Respectfully,

PFC Kitt

Capt.Confederacy
The F-word in WW2???

This reminds me of a surprising piece of WWI footage I saw once with no sound. US soldiers were coming down a gangplank from a troop ship to land on French soil. The water was very choppy, and the fellows were getting tossed about a bit. Well, one guy lost the grip on his duffle bag and lost it in the drink about 50 feet below. Needless to say, all of the items were probably ruined even if he could get them back. Everyone around him was laughing, and he mouthed the F-word very clearly.

You have a BRO Monument both near Henri-Chapelle and in the Bütgenbach area.

When you drive to the American Cemetery (which is actually in Hombourg, not Henri-Chapelle), you can spot it on the major road leading to the village.

Erwin

Where is the 1st ID monument that you took pictures of, I was at henri-Chappele(SP?) in 2006 and I am pretty sure we stopped at this monument since it looks strangely familiar. my other computer crashed with my pictures on it so I will have to look for the CD.

Respectfully,

PFC Kitt

EasyRed1944

I decided to make some pictures of most of my relics.

95% are found by me , some others are traded or obtained.

You can see a piece of camo parachute, that one was found in Holland by a friend of me.

The relics will point itself out.

IMG_8866.jpg

IMG_8867.jpg

IMG_8868.jpg

IMG_8869.jpg

IMG_8871.jpg

Manchu Warrior
At the end of our trip our eyes catched some writings on a tree...it was a rare moment!

USA

10/9/44

F*ck Hitler

And some names ?

IMG_8828.jpg

IMG_8818.jpg

US flag with USA under it

Cliff J

....... ..

Ohio

IMG_8836.jpg

IMG_8816.jpg

Toledo Ohio

IMG_8819.jpg

Stars and stripes

USA

IMG_8822.jpg

The F word has been around for a very long time but I have my doubts about that tree. If the words in that tree were carved 65 years ago they would be all spread out and you would not be able to read it. Simply because the tree would have grown quite a bit in the more then six decades since the carving was done. I have seen it myself. A few years ago I learned that a wooded area I use to run around as a kid was going to be done away with so a school could be built. So, I went back and found the old trees we had carved our names in and after only twenty or twenty fives years I could barely read what we had carved because they spread out as the tree grew and the tree also healed itself. With that said. I am no tree expert but I believe those trees were carved long after the war ended and most likely no more then ten or fifteen years ago. Just my two cents.

If the words in that tree were carved 65 years ago they would be all spread out and you would not be able to read it.

It really depends on the type of tree.

EasyRed1944
That makes sense. :thumbsup:

Then again..who would spend all that energy in carving a tree 3km deep in the woods, nowhere near a road.. There were other trees with the same carvings ,but this was the best readable...i think its possible but i am not an expert. We'll see if we can find those names back, that will clear it out.

I know of places in the Luxembourg Ardennes where you see GI names carved in the trees (Wasserbillig area being one).

They only fade away at a very very slow rate.

Some are readable, others not anymore.

Erwin

Some are readable, others not anymore.

Agree with you. I know about some good examples in Normandy. Just depends on kind of curving and trees...

Yannick

You got to be pretty brave to dig that stuff up. It's very dangerous.

I think I read where hundreds of Europeans have been killed since WW2 by leftover UXBs. Several years back a British golfer set off a UXB when he pulled the club over it. I think he was injured but not killed.

Even Civil War ordnance can be dangerous. A relic-hunter in Richmond who had defused hundreds of shells was recently killed by one, and a Georgia dealer was badly inured doing a defusal.

I once saw a 7 inch James projectile dug up from the front slope of a Civil War Fort. As I walked over to examine it a friend began knocking the rust off with the shovel. I told him he was crazy, that it might be fused, and that James shells used a percussion fuse. Sure enough, he found it as I yelled told you...from a good distance.

Most people don't understand that fusing of ordnance has been relatively sophisticated for many years. Even during the CW some concussion fuses were used, and many contact types.

I'd be especially concerned about some of the ordnance used in the Ardennes. If memory serves the US Army used a large number of proximity-fused shells that devastated many attacking German formations.

If you want to get an approximate idea of how dangerous ordnance was/is, watch the BBC series "Danger UXB." It will keep you on the edge of your seat, and might give you pause about what you dig up.

EasyRed1944
You got to be pretty brave to dig that stuff up. It's very dangerous.

I think I read where hundreds of Europeans have been killed since WW2 by leftover UXBs. Several years back a British golfer set off a UXB when he pulled the club over it. I think he was injured but not killed.

Even Civil War ordnance can be dangerous. A relic-hunter in Richmond who had defused hundreds of shells was recently killed by one, and a Georgia dealer was badly inured doing a defusal.

I once saw a 7 inch James projectile dug up from the front slope of a Civil War Fort. As I walked over to examine it a friend began knocking the rust off with the shovel. I told him he was crazy, that it might be fused, and that James shells used a percussion fuse. Sure enough, he found it as I yelled told you...from a good distance.

Most people don't understand that fusing of ordnance has been relatively sophisticated for many years. Even during the CW some concussion fuses were used, and many contact types.

I'd be especially concerned about some of the ordnance used in the Ardennes. If memory serves the US Army used a large number of proximity-fused shells that devastated many attacking German formations.

If you want to get an approximate idea of how dangerous ordnance was/is, watch the BBC series "Danger UXB." It will keep you on the edge of your seat, and might give you pause about what you dig up.

I totally understand , but it's not that we know what we will dig up...our scanners are not that sophisticated yet.

If a grenade rolls up with a heap of dirt...what can i do then..

It is better to dig it up and report it , so they can pick it up so it can't harm other people anymore.

This is dangerous yeah, but its not our choice to uncover it, we only put those away for safety of others.

Very nice finds! How did you find the clothing? Was there any metal on them so you were able to detect them or was it just digging in the areas that you found other items?

EasyRed1944
Very nice finds! How did you find the clothing? Was there any metal on them so you were able to detect them or was it just digging in the areas that you found other items?

I can't recall what we found with it , but i think some crappy iron, maybe a buckle..and when we started digging there came clothing out , we dug it 0.50 meter deep and we found LOTS of pants and shirt as you can see .