USMC HGU-84/P w/cammo cover

horridohutch

Picked this helmet up last night after waiting an hour on the guy in a Walmart parking lot. Its a complete USMC HGU-84/P with the NVG wiring intact. For the most part the helmet is complete needing some very minor TLC. I just wish I knew its history. I have not been able to find a Gentex sticker inside to date it but am reasonably certain its not more than 10 years old. The interesting part of it is the white reflective tape underneath, it looks almost like dragon scales. I am hoping that this will help me one day associate it with a squadron. Pleased with my second helo helmet of late, especially being a Naval Aircrewman in H-2s back in the day.

post-133566-0-83614200-1519182606_thumb.jpg

Ive always wanted to pic up a 84P with a camo cover. Ideally Id like to find a V-22 setup helmet with the mask, or even a rarer AH-1W setup helmet. This one looks in pretty clean shape. I think that plug was used for H-46 aircraft. That plug reminds me of a 9v battery terminal. Ive found it pretty annoying how the USN/USMC has about 5 different style ICS plugs for flight helmets depending on what aircraft they're for. Those snaps on the middle sides are for attaching the chemical respirator/mask. They sell the snap adapter straps on ebay for the CAMLOCK respirators.

...... did the H-2 use the same ICS plug?

Chris if my memory serves me there was an in line amp that was removable. Meaning you could unplug it. I remember being very bored sitting in back on a cross country flight and unplugging it and reconnecting without the amp to see if it still worked. Well, it did not! :-) As for the exact plug in I think it was different, how was it set up I honestly do not remember exactly... I have a buddy I am going to ask that was in H2s as well. I will get back to you as soon as I hear back. I was wondering the same thing.....

Thanks guys too, I really like this helmet and am glad I went ahead and waited for the guy!

His helmet was adapted from the one he used in H-3s which was the single 1/4 dia x 1 1/4 long pin which he remembers plugging into a amp with two prongs coming out. The more I think about it I think it was the two prongs like we see all the time. Again the memory is fogging up like an old pair of cheap binoculars!

• 2 weeks later...

Gung-Ho-Gear makes them commercially. I would think some unit riggers could also make them. These are a USMC only item,alluding back to the fact that all Marines are trained rifleman grunts.