Anyone know anything about these items, thanks * WWII Anti-Gas undershirt

Spending time sorting through my shoebox I have found several items that I never had time to try and research. so my first item is a long sleeve cotton vest, elasticated wrists, and something that doesn't appear very common, a rounded stretch neck, some may describe either as a crew, a polo, a turtle neck ????? The printed details are on the inside tail of the vest, and I will add a close up in the following post.

thanks lewis.

post-344-0-78805900-1519136076_thumb.jpg

Young enough to care and enjoy militaria - Old enough to remember as surplus

" Life's too short for reproductions "

Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes 

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

Hi, a close up of the label on this cotton vest, as you can see it has a date of 6/6/1944. Would appreciate any information if possible.

As time and tide allow I will add other pieces as they are found in the shoebox . . . . . . . . ^_^

Thanks lewis.

post-344-0-62873900-1519136339_thumb.jpg

Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes 

The word "special" would indicate it was made for anti gas use. That would account for the tight closing wrist and neck openings.

Hi Robin, thanks for the info, the undershirt came with an unmarked pair of long white underwear that are actually impregnated for protection against gas. but the shirt is not impregnated. I wondered if any of our members here could trace anything from stock numbers on the shirt.

Thanks for looking. ;) lewis.

Hi Ken,

From TM 3-290 27 MARCH 1944 MISCELLANEOUS GAS PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT

g1.jpg

That was about the only mention I could find, aside from that in the index of specifications (which does not really say much about it). From the wording, I would guess your undershirt is as it came from the factory and had not yet been impregnated with the protective stuff.

Regards,

RC

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

*Sherlock Holmes in "A Scandal in Bohemia"*

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif
donation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Hi Ken,

From TM 3-290 27 MARCH 1944 MISCELLANEOUS GAS PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT

attachicon.gifg1.jpg

That was about the only mention I could find, aside from that in the index of specifications (which does not really say much about it). From the wording, I would guess your undershirt is as it came from the factory and had not yet been impregnated with the protective stuff.

Regards,

RC

Hi Rusty thank you very much for a copy of the TM specs, I was hoping for stuff like this.

The other question I should have asked is does anyone have any photographic evidence of this style of neck-line being worn during WWII.

thanks lewis.

Hi Ken,

If it helps any, the index of specifications indicates QM Tent PQD 39D was superceded by MIL-U-2526 on November 15, 1950. Note that your undershirt is PQD No. 39C, so it looks like the spec had been changed between 1944 and 1950 when PQD 39D was superceded.

I have tried to find a photo of it being worn, but I believe the neckline was made like that to provide a seal between the hood (or coveralls) and the undershirt.

Regards,

RC

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

donation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

War Department Pamphlet no 32, "Comparison of U.S. and British Chemical Warfare Protective Equipment", dated 6 Jan 1944, sheet No. 29, lists: "Nomenclature: Undershirts, Cotton, Protective. Description and Use: Long sleeves, high-neck undershirt of khaki color..... Remarks: Issued by QM and impregnated by CWS"

Hi Ken,

If it helps any, the index of specifications indicates QM Tent PQD 39D was superceded by MIL-U-2526 on November 15, 1950. Note that your undershirt is PQD No. 39C, so it looks like the spec had been changed between 1944 and 1950 when PQD 39D was superceded.

I have tried to find a photo of it being worn, but I believe the neckline was made like that to provide a seal between the hood (or coveralls) and the undershirt.

Regards,

RC

Hi Rusty, thanks for having another crack at the specs for this undershirt. Sorry for the late reply as you know I am up to my neck in work at present.

Ken.

War Department Pamphlet no 32, "Comparison of U.S. and British Chemical Warfare Protective Equipment", dated 6 Jan 1944, sheet No. 29, lists: "Nomenclature: Undershirts, Cotton, Protective. Description and Use: Long sleeves, high-neck undershirt of khaki color..... Remarks: Issued by QM and impregnated by CWS"

Hi ME, many thanks for joining in with this topic and the detail you have provided, appreciate your time. ;)

ken

Hi Ken,

No worry about being busy; I still need to get a moment to reply to your PM.

Regards,

RC

Need the help of someone in the printing trade . . . . . . . . .

hhaaaaa Rusty, I must have spent ten minutes trying to find this topic, the title has changed a little since I posted it.

So maybe we have gone as far as we can go with my previous question. My new question is what is the small motif seen on US army manuals, I ask this as I also see it on some British civilian books, and I would like to know why the US Military and British civilian books should use this same motif. :mellow:

I wondered if it had something to do with the style or method of the printing press used, or something like that.

Lewis.

post-344-0-22014600-1520277987_thumb.jpg