Ebay M2 Paratrooper Helmet

mwesson030

I contact eBay sellers quite often, but only when the item is one of those that are frequently knocked down. I ask them to save my messege, just in case eBay knocks down the listing. In that case, I will make an offer. I recently did this with a knuckle knife that was removed by eBay, but the seller wanted a crazy dollar amount it. I did grab a nice early Purple Heart that was removed by eBay.

However, asking them to end a listing early just isn't fair to other bidders. I have missed out on some really nice items thanks to back door deals. I have also had people make me offers, back when I used to actually sell stuff. Now, my biggest problem is that I never get rid of anything!

GeneralCheese

It's a great helmet - I saw it when it popped up originally. Price-wise I think it's a bit high, but for a complete (or at least pieces of every component) M2 helmet it's not outrageous.

As for contacting sellers, if you wouldn't have a problem jumping on a great buy-it-now listing, then you shouldn't have a problem with asking a seller if they'd consider one on an auction.

As for contacting sellers, if you wouldn't have a problem jumping on a great buy-it-now listing, then you shouldn't have a problem with asking a seller if they'd consider one on an auction.

I guess we have diametrically opposed opinions on this. If the seller wanted a BIN, he'd of done it that way. If a seller goes to an auction format, then everyone should respect the sellers wishes and the other bidders values who are not trying to use this "end early" tactic.

Go to an auction in person sometime and see what happens when you stand up and ask them to end it early for you... as you might guess, it would not bode well for you. The same should be true with eBay and should not be changed simply because it is internet based.

Let's face it, the guy who tries to get a seller to end early, offers a much lower price to the seller than what he knows it has the potential to really do should the auction run it's full course. Again, it comes down to what your values are and where your moral compass is set. I don't need a helmet that bad that I have to compromise my character.

I guess we have diametrically opposed opinions on this. If the seller wanted a BIN, he'd of done it that way. If a seller goes to an auction format, then everyone should respect the sellers wishes and the other bidders values who are not trying to use this "end early" tactic.

Go to an auction in person sometime and see what happens when you stand up and ask them to end it early for you... as you might guess, it would not bode well for you. The same should be true with eBay and should not be changed simply because it is internet based.

Let's face it, the guy who tries to get a seller to end early, offers a much lower price to the seller than what he knows it has the potential to really do should the auction run it's full course. Again, it comes down to what your values are and where your moral compass is set. I don't need a helmet that bad that I have to compromise my character.

You said a mouthful sir, but your last sentence is the one that's too often missing from folks in this hobby. Nothing worth selling your soul for.

Good point about what would happen if someone tried that crap at a live auction..the back door shinanigans guys only do it because they are can be anonymous and are hiding behind a keyboard...but thats just my opinion on that matter...so 6800 is a good price for that, maybe a little high but they dont come up for sale often with both bails and straps so good for the buyer and the seller...hope the research on the name goes well.....mike

Great helmet. Both bales...Both chinstraps...Plus, I really like liners with names on the front...with a rank as well...even though it has condition issues, I think it went for good price for both parties. I guess we all have to keep in mind that income has a lot to do with eBay auction prices. $6800 is out of my price range. However, for some collectors with 6 or 7 digit incomes, spending $6800 on something they really want is a much easier choice! I hope the winner is a forum member. I would love to see this one in a nice display setting!

Persian Gulf Command

Question to the collectors out there and perhaps the investors as well. Not factoring in the liner condition or the fact that this set is probably original to the trooper to whom it was issued.

Which is better? 1. A helmet like this one, rusty, with both original bales and straps. 2. Better condition interior, with the bales period repaired and both straps present.

Question to the collectors out there and perhaps the investors as well. Not factoring in the liner condition or the fact that this set is probably original to the trooper to whom it was issued.

Which is better? 1. A helmet like this one, rusty, with both original bales and straps. 2. Better condition interior, with the bales period repaired and both straps present.

Personally, I would prefer one without repairs, even with the condition issues. But, being a D-bail, I would gladly take either one! I think it really depends on the collector. I'm curious to see how other collectors feel about this!

So a collector can now sit that helmet on a shelf and wait for it to appreciate and hopefully not deteriorate further, but if I spent more on a rusty helmet than I did on my son's Subaru, my wife would leave me. :D

Persian Gulf Command

MattS,

Your a smart Man! There is no way I would ever spend that kind of money on this hobby. Although, I have spent in the LOW four figures on a few of my "treasures" (Inland Airborne Liner), I have yet to fess-up to my wife about the cost. Kind of like when I was a teen ager and I told my dad "I had a 'couple of beers' last night".

Cheers!

MattS,

Your a smart Man! There is no way I would ever spend that kind of money on this hobby. Although, I have spent in the LOW four figures on a few of my "treasures" (Inland Airborne Liner), I have yet to fess-up to my wife about the cost. Kind of like when I was a teen ager and I told my dad "I had a 'couple of beers' last night".

Cheers!

To each his own. If the person that bought this liner and helmet is happy with it, then that's all that counts.

I am happy that the free market has spoken. That's the way it should be as that's the only way we all benefit.

I like the helmet and think it is legit, as does everyone, but the condition will never get better and it'd sure be a crime to restore the liner. This means you're stuck with it as-is if you respect history(and I feel that would be the right thing to do). This is what you would expect from a "found in a barn loft in Normandy" helmet. Unfortunately, I'd almost bet someone attempts to restore the liner. The issue is will it remain a $7K lid in this condition and do we see aging Millennials dropping, say, $10-15K on it in a few years? In other words, except hoarding for the admiration of other collectors, what's the long-term placement of such pieces? Maybe for another post but interesting stuff.

JMO,

Dave

Anymore info on him? I hope a forum member picks up this helmet so we can do more research on it! A named paratrooper m2 to a captain definitely worth the 10K. I'm going to be honest here if you are even close to having enough money to buy this helmet, if you are even 2K off it might be worth it to get this helmet. It is really looking to be the holy grail of helmet collectors. If only it was in better condition, but when is another one of these going to pop up out of the woodwork? 10 years? 15, 20? It is important to keep in mind it is still a risk, a BIG risk, especially since beside it being marked on the liner there is no other evidence to be sure it belonged to him.

Just my 2 cents.

Hunt

Have a look on the website 508pir.org