Purchasing Revolutionary War Militaria

Hello, I collect mainly WWII and ACW but Id like to add a few pieces from the Revolutionary War to my collection. Id start with a few smaller items like musket balls and then would work on adding a Continental army button and a British army button. I dont know if Id venture much further than that but we know how that can go! Who would be trusted online dealers? Ive dealt with a few very trusted ACW dealers but they dont often have much for the RW. Im not looking for mint condition buttons. Relic but readable would be more in my price range.

This site has some interesting pieces. Im thinking about purchasing a small, 3 musket ball collection from 3 separate battles from them.

http://www.historicalshop.com/sitecontents/colonial/colmilitaria.htm

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

Frank

Good question. I have found that site you listed but haven't really seen much else. I'd like to see if anyone has any good information.

You should consider joining the Revolutionary War Buttons, Plates and Accouterments group on Facebook. Buying and selling is not permitted in that group but it is a valuable resource and some people on there do sell privately or on Ebay. Keeping an eye on that forum will get you familiar with what is available out there and who some trustworthy sellers are. The advantage is that you are often dealing with the relic hunter who found the piece rather than purchasing something one, two or more steps removed from the source. I say that not so much from the point of view of price, but of provenance. You may trust a seller, but the question is often how trustworthy is the person who sold it to him?

You might start watching on-line auctions of high end collections. I am thinking that auctions would be the preferred venue for selling items this old.

I wish I had been more of a collector when I was a kid in the 1960's near Philadelphia. I distinctly remember holding a candle mold in my hands from the Colonial period that was priced a whopping $12.00. You could buy spinning wheels, butter crocks, all kind of stuff. I am sure the military items were there too, but not at the astronomical prices you see today.It

I would agree with many of the responses here. Cowens Auctions often have interesting Rev War related items (https://www.cowanauctions.com/) and I would search the web for Civil War dealers too. Good luck and post your finds!

Thanks for responding. I will post any finds or questions about possibilities.

Frank

• 3 weeks later...

If youre located anywhere near Ohio, there is a Civil War Show in Mansfield the first weekend in May. Its really good sized and has a fair amount of Rev War relics sprinkled in there. Ive bought buttons, bayonets and some Continental Currency.

Ron

Frank:

Next weekend is the Baltimore Antique Arms Show, which is focused on early firearms and equipment.

About Maryland Arms Collectors

The “Old Line State” is famous for its blue crabs, horse racing and for 64 years, the finest antique arms show in the country. The “Baltimore Show”, as hosted by the Maryland Arms Collectors Association on the third weekend of March annually, is considered to be the finest arms show of its kind. With over 1,000 tables of the finest in collectable rifles, revolvers (pre-1898) and sporting shot guns, the Baltimore Show attracts thousands of serious collectors from across the globe. It is considered the “must attend” event of the gun collector year.

The Maryland Arms Collectors Association, Inc.

You will find the type of dealers you're looking for there.

SteveT

M24 Chaffee

If youre located anywhere near Ohio, there is a Civil War Show in Mansfield the first weekend in May. Its really good sized and has a fair amount of Rev War relics sprinkled in there. Ive bought buttons, bayonets and some Continental Currency.

Ron

Frank:

Next weekend is the Baltimore Antique Arms Show, which is focused on early firearms and equipment.

About Maryland Arms Collectors

The “Old Line State” is famous for its blue crabs, horse racing and for 64 years, the finest antique arms show in the country. The “Baltimore Show”, as hosted by the Maryland Arms Collectors Association on the third weekend of March annually, is considered to be the finest arms show of its kind. With over 1,000 tables of the finest in collectable rifles, revolvers (pre-1898) and sporting shot guns, the Baltimore Show attracts thousands of serious collectors from across the globe. It is considered the “must attend” event of the gun collector year.

The Maryland Arms Collectors Association, Inc.

You will find the type of dealers you're looking for there.

SteveT

Thank you Ron and Steve! Those are great suggestions. I often work on weekends and I don’t get go to many shows. The Baltimore show isnt that far but I haven’t been able to attend. I need to get there!

Frank

• 1 month later...
Yankee Trader Relics

Frank,

Check out www.yankeetraderrelics.com. From time to time I get some nice buttons etc.

Sincerely,

Mark