Desert Storm Uniform - Whats going on here?

BSRmilitaria

Hi guys,

I recently came across this photo of apparently US troops in Kuwait. Their BDU's dont look American and remind me heavily of the British camos of that time period. Does anyone have any insight to what these guys are wearing?

Thank you!

post-170153-0-88127700-1519000597_thumb.png

The uniforms are indeed British DPM and appear to be their version of the MOPP suit. You can also see the chemical reactive tape on the knees etc. Since the soldiers are wearing Kevlar helmets and frag vests with desert camo covers, I would assume that they are Americans. Obviously, the M-16 and the Hummer also point to US service. Perhaps they needed MOPP suits and could only get British suits? I recall that there was a severe shortage of US suits over there during Desert Shield/ Storm. The boots give me pause too. They look like Bata boots.

The Kuwaiti flag in the background would lead me to assume that the photo was taken in Kuwait.

Allan

My brother gave me one he acquired in N Iraq, must have been common among our troops. They are not the same weight as our mopp suit

The uniforms are indeed British DPM and appear to be their version of the MOPP suit. You can also see the chemical reactive tape on the knees etc. Since the soldiers are wearing Kevlar helmets and frag vests with desert camo covers, I would assume that they are Americans. Obviously, the M-16 and the Hummer also point to US service. Perhaps they needed MOPP suits and could only get British suits? I recall that there was a severe shortage of US suits over there during Desert Shield/ Storm. The boots give me pause too. They look like Bata boots.

The Kuwaiti flag in the background would lead me to assume that the photo was taken in Kuwait.

Allan

Allan is correct. There was indeed a shortage of the MOPP suits, so some US service personnel did have to use British DPM pattern suits. If I recall correctly, I want to say the USMC used some.

We did most everything in a MOPP 2 status or higher so the suits had to be exchanged regularly due to their limited life as far as effectiveness. Depending on your size and availability you might receive a British suit at the time of exchange. Scott

Wow thanks for all the response and very interesting to hear that about the MOPP shortage. I was not aware of it.

Thank you guys!

I would say that there is little chance that the soldiers are NOT US. I would also say that they are army based on the fact that both soldiers have camo bands on their helmets. I was around a lot of marines in ODS and I NEVER saw a single one of them wearing one of those bands. The Humvee was also something uniquely American at the time. I would find it hard to believe that these guys aren't Americans.

Allan

British NBC suits. Used to pick these up for a few pounds still sealed.

In one of the Osprey books there is a colour drawing plate of the USMC wearing British NBC suits. Either that or it is Kuwaiti interpreters wearing a mix of UK/US kit.

British NBC suits. Used to pick these up for a few pounds still sealed.

In one of the Osprey books there is a colour drawing plate of the USMC wearing British NBC suits. Either that or it is Kuwaiti interpreters wearing a mix of UK/US kit.

Unlikely that a terp would be armed though.

As Allen says they are likely not Marines, either, based on the camo bands.

I wonder if they might be soldiers from the 2nd Armored Division (forward.) A brigade of the 2AD was attached to the Marines and moved into Kuwait with them. If Marines had British DPM MOPP suits then 2AD guys might have had them as well.

Martinjmpr is referring to "Task Force Tiger" and also called the "Tiger Brigade" which assaulted through Kuwait when the ground offensive began. It was made up of soldiers from the 2nd Armored Division and US marines as well as some coalition forces. I'm proud to have served as an advisor to the Saudis and was with them when they assaulted through Kuwait.

Allan

Why continue the speculating? What Allan and Nkomo said; they are US troops. There was a shortage of MOPP suits so they were issued British suits in DPM camouflage pattern. They are Americans.

Subtitle and source for the image below:

Feb. 25, 1991:American troops guard Iraqi prisoners of war during the ground campaign of Operation Desert Storm. Source: Christopher Morris, Getty Images, Department Of Defense, The LIFE Picture Collection

post-4082-0-69249500-1519084462_thumb.jpeg

According to the ABC News websiite of Operation Desert Storm in Pictures, the original picture in this thread is of US Marines Special Forces, but I would agree these are most likely Army soldiers.

Link: http://abcnews.go.com/International/photos/operation-desert-storm-pictures-36312963/image-36313526

There are some mistakes on the ABC News website as they misidentified these French soldiers as Americans.

Link: http://abcnews.go.com/International/photos/operation-desert-storm-pictures-36312963/image-36314304

As to the Marines and helmet bands.....here is a DoD photo with the following caption: U.S. Marine Cpl. Robert C. Unhoch, surveys the area after arriving at his mission location during Exercise Imminent Thunder, part of Operation Desert Shield. Unhoch is assigned to the 2nd Marine Division's Charlie Company, 1st Battalion. U.S. Air Force photo by Tech. Sgt. H. H. Deffner

Picture is too large, so I am providing a link.

Link: http://archive.defense.gov/dodcmsshare/photoessay/2010-08/hires_DF-ST-92-07537.jpg

Another picture of Marines wearing helmet bands from the DoD website. Caption as follows: U.S. Marines assigned to the 2nd Marine Division's Charlie Company, 1st Battalion, move out on a mission after disembarking from a CH-46E Sea Knight helicopter during Exercise Imminent Thunder, part of Operation Desert Shield. U.S. Air Force photo by Tech. Sgt. H. H. Deffne

Link: http://archive.defense.gov/dodcmsshare/photoessay/2010-08/hires_DF-ST-92-07535.jpg

Original DoD link: http://archive.defense.gov/PhotoEssays/PhotoEssaySS.aspx?ID=1789

Who made up the "rule of thumb" that the Marines do not wear elastic bands on their helmets??? I've seen plenty of photos of Marines with them, including the ones Nkomo provided. Some had it, some didn't. Here is another evidence that they DID have elastic bands.

Subtitle from the image: "Marines from the 3rd Battilion, 6th Marines fire a 60mm mortar during a live fire exercise, 11 january 1991 in the desert of Saudi Arabia as part of the 'Operation Desert Shield'. US Secretary of State James Baker who is visiting.."

https://www.gettyimages.no/detail/news-photo/marines-from-the-3rd-battilion-6th-marines-fire-a-60mm-news-photo/465364882#marines-from-the-3rd-battilion-6th-marines-fire-a-60mm-mortar-during-picture-id465364882

"Marines from the 3rd Battilion, 6th Marines fire a 60mm mortar during a live fire exercise, 11 january 1991 in the desert of Saudi Arabia as part of the 'Operation Desert Shield'. US Secretary of State James Baker who is visiting.."

post-4082-0-34428000-1519092758.jpg

Many Marines were wearing helmet Bands during Desert Shield / Storm. I would say 95% of the ones I saw while there (Myself Included) were wearing them.

I had the Standard US Issue Woodland MOPP Suit, but there were many British sets around. I think they were actually preferred, because of how much lighter they were. I was with the 2nd Marine Division (2nd LAI Bn.) at the time, and I was under the impression that many of the first Division Bubbas had the British Style.

My 2 cents, Cheers, John

As to the Marines and helmet bands.....here is a DoD photo with the following caption: U.S. Marine Cpl. Robert C. Unhoch, surveys the area after arriving at his mission location during Exercise Imminent Thunder, part of Operation Desert Shield. Unhoch is assigned to the 2nd Marine Division's Charlie Company, 1st Battalion. U.S. Air Force photo by Tech. Sgt. H. H. Deffner

Picture is too large, so I am providing a link.

Link: http://archive.defense.gov/dodcmsshare/photoessay/2010-08/hires_DF-ST-92-07537.jpg

Great picture Arch.

interesting to see hes wearing non issue canvas boots.Also see a dog tag laced into the boot too.

I recall seeing these in the Brigade Quartermaster and US Cavalry Store catalogs.Came in OD or Black.Had the double buckle tops

Think they were designed/copied from the Israeli Military boots.

Here is the box I mentioned.Still packed with the Brit DPM suits.

I picked this up with about 40 M17 style gasmasks and several cases of new filters.THere were also cases of the US MOPP suits.

Guessing they all came out of ARMY Reserve stock or inventory that was being discarded.Many of the masks appeared unused but had been inspected,dated and rebagged.Probably had new filters added as well.

post-342-0-41060500-1519254861_thumb.jpg

post-342-0-24299500-1519254890_thumb.jpg

post-342-0-26692200-1519254948_thumb.jpg