Battered Buckle of The Bulge

doyler

Several years ago obtained a group from a 194th Glider/17th Airborne vet.His widow was down sizing and was looking to move.

Included was a small patients/personal affects bag.I always thought it was really a "personal" item due to the vet writing "Living" on it and the date he was wounded in Belgium.I know he returned state side to a hospital in Denver Colorado.I have several pictures of him there in uniform.I don't recall he returned for the Varcity drop.Im sure he wouldn't have been returned to duty from the states.

In the bag with some items were photos and this belt buckle.The widow told me that it had been "picked up off a road" in Belgium according to her late husband.It aint pretty but its pretty neat to me.

post-342-0-74325900-1518927548_thumb.jpg

post-342-0-98508200-1518927572_thumb.jpg

USCapturephotos

Ron. Perfect little group. This is definitely my favorite kind of find. Love it love it! Thanks for sharing with the rest of us.

Paul

Very cool grouping, nice knowing exactly where it came from.

Even though the buckle is damaged it is still a desirable original SS belt buckle.

Thanks again for all the comments.

It was a real honor to know him.THe Heart is a little rough but its what it is.

I have a few other bits and pieces of his.Ike,caps,reunion related thingsEven his jump boots that survived.Most all was stored in a little utlity shed in a trunk in the back yard.Had a moth ball the size of a soft ball in the trunk so it may have helped save the items but at times his boots still have that smell :)

• 2 weeks later...
Kurt Barickman

Nice Ron,

Don't know how I missed this the first time; was the 17th vet one one of the guys in the association?

Congrats,

Kurt

Nice Ron,

Don't know how I missed this the first time; was the 17th vet one one of the guys in the association?

Congrats,

Kurt

:)