US Forces Germany TROY Patch

McDermut99

A recent patch pick up. It looks like this patch may have been made in Europe in the 1980’s? I haven’t found out much information about TROY involving the US and Germany yet, but I’m guessing it has something to do with training or war games. Either way an interesting patch!

Any comments are greatly appreciated!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Troy University, based in Alabama, runs a growing European division which caters to US troops stationed in Europe. I believe it's based at Zweibrucken, Germany.

Several years ago I acquired a grouping that belonged to MSG Laurence Young, a longtime Special Forces noncom who served with Project Delta during the Vietnam War, was a Son Tay raider, and also served with the 1st Battalion,10th Group at Bad Tolz, West Germany, from 1980 to 1982. Among his items was one of these patches, with his last name "Young" embroidered in the same place as the name "Troy" is embroidered on your patch. Although the one I have is a little bit different than yours, I think these patches were custom made by a tailor in West Germany to commemorate the soldiers service during their deployment.

I'll scan the one I have, but I won't get a chance to do so until this Saturday.