Army's new Military Horseman Identification Badge

mvmhm

I'd called Fort Meyer MCSS after this badge was announced and they said it should be in stock in January; tried calling yesterday and got no answer, so I called Fort Campbell and the woman said she had them in stock briefly but they weren't being sold now and she was sure she could get anymore...she said she thought it had been a limited production run since there's so few people who would qualify for it. I checked eBay and as luck would have it, there was a complete set (full size, miniature and lapel pin) being sold by someone in Hopkinsville (which is right outside Ft Campbell - and where my Sweet Baboo was born). I think the price was a little high, but if it's true that they're not making any more, I figured I might as well snag it.

The badge is only awarded for those soldiers serving in the Caisson Platoon of the 3rd U.S. Infantry Regiment. It will not be awarded to soldiers serving in other positions with horse detachments or platoons. As of November 2017, only ten (10) of the badges have been awarded.

To earn the badge, soldiers must:

Successfully complete the nine week Basic Horsemanship Course;

Complete 100 Armed Forces Full Honors Funerals in Arlington National Cemetery;

Serve honorably for a minimum of nine months, which need not be continuous, while assigned as a member of the U.S. Army Caisson Platoon, 3d U.S. Infantry Regiment (The Old Guard);

Be recommended by the Commander, 1st Battalion, 3d U.S. Infantry Regiment (The Old Guard);

Like the Tomb Guard Badge, the Military Horseman Identification Badge can be revoked for misconduct.

Mark sends

post-3423-0-23619800-1518873893.jpg