Blued WW1 German bayonet sent home by my great uncle

Blu1989

Hey everyone. I keep meaning to post this on here but for some reason the thought always slips my mind. Anyway this bayonet is one of several artifacts one of my great uncles sent home from France before he was killed. He served with the 330th Infantry Regiment of the 83rd Infantry Division in Company K and was killed August 29, 1944 during the Battle of Brest. I posted a while back about a German helmet that I took out of a large crate filled with items he sent home and this was the bayonet I chose to keep out of the crate. After I got it home I looked up info about it and it is a butcher blade bayonet made in 1917 for the Gew 98 that was blued and issued during the interwar years. How and where my great uncle came into it is a mystery to me and my brother, with whom I split the crate and its items with, but it was a heck of a find. Anyway hope you guys enjoyed this bayonet as much as I do.

post-159863-0-60051700-1518841112.jpg

post-159863-0-51920200-1518841144.jpg

post-159863-0-12911500-1518841179.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Simon Lerenfort

Nice item, it's a shame that groups get split up but I guess that is families for you. Hopefully you and your brother have documented the group so that the story of your Great Uncle and their acquisition stay together.

Thanks everyone. My brother and I have documented everything we could about all of the items my great uncle sent home but without more info as to where and when my great uncle acquired everything all we could do was write down serial numbers, condition of items, etc. As for reuniting all of the items my brother also collects militaria and I wanted him to have at least some of the items sent back so I took the items I wanted in the best condition and let him have the rest. I know the items that remain are in good hands with him.